Need to have boat trailer inspected - Virginia - can't find VIN serial numbers

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live in the good ol state of Virginia, and I'll soon be ready to have my trailer inspected (just put on disc brakes). I can't seem to find the trailer VIN serial number anywhere on it. The title shows it to be a make called "MATI" with the year 1985. This being Virginia, everything is "reasonable" to get accomplished with cars, boats, etc... I bought the trailer and boat in December.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could stamp the numbers on yourself, or have a plate laser engraved with all the necessary info and rivet it to the trailer.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks - the title does say it's a duel axle trailer weighing about 1500 pounds. That should make sense for what I got. No legalities to worry about re-stamping myself?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take the registration or title with you so the inspector can get the VIN from there. This is a quite regular thing with trailers, as most trailer manufacturers go the cheap route and put the VIN in some kind of sticker which does not last, and even less so on a boat trailer. Everyone is aware of the problem, and you won't get much hassle from anyone about it, unless you are accused of stealing the trailer, or it is stolen from you. In either case, someone will want to match the VIN to some kind of paperwork for recovery.
You could get a metal plate made and rivet it to the trailer. I did this on a Jon boat trailer once, but as I have moved through boats and trailers, I stopped bothering.

Chris

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks - the title does say it's a duel axle trailer weighing about 1500 pounds. That should make sense for what I got. No legalities to worry about re-stamping myself?

When I bought the paper work to the Illinois secretary of states office I asked about making a new ID plate as the old one was in really bad shape. The answer I got was as long as it has all the important info it was ok. Just keep the original plate with the title.