Nice boat bad trailer

Walt T

Lieutenant
Friend bought a 240 Sea Ray Sundancer, nice boat. A spring shattered on the trailer and he somehow used a ratchet strap to hold the axle in place enough to get it to me. Cut one tire up on the fender, almost cut the spare to pieces.
Upon disassembly I find that brake lines disconnected and pinched off. Trailer had no brakes. Wheel bearings full of water and grease. Now replacing all 4 springs, hardware, brakes, and bearings.

Attachments

• photo206007.jpg
    photo206007.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206008.jpg
    photo206008.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206009.jpg
    photo206009.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain
Never noticed a pin through any of my springs. Definately a weak spot. Mine used metal straps to hold them together with a pin welded on the spring to go into a hole in the axle.

oldjeep

Admiral
Never noticed a pin through any of my springs. Definately a weak spot. Mine used metal straps to hold them together with a pin welded on the spring to go into a hole in the axle.

That would be bizarre. I've never seen a set of leaf springs on a car or trailer that didn't use a center hole with a centering pin installed. Never seen a pin welded onto a spring for centering.

Bondo

Staff member
That would be bizarre. I've never seen a set of leaf springs on a car or trailer that didn't use a center hole with a centering pin installed. Never seen a pin welded onto a spring for centering.

Ayuh,..... Ditto,.... Spring steel Hates to be welded,...

foodfisher

Captain
I'd better notice a little closer. Just checked the truck and it has two through bolts.:embarassed: Just seems like a likely place to fail.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Yep, wondered if anyone would notice. On the left front. The center bolt had broken I think, and someone tried to weld it back together. all these years, all those cars, trucks, and trailers, I have never seen a spring fix attempt like that. And someone probably paid for that repair. I also found the right rear brake a completely different system than the rest, was an electric set someone had unbolted the original hydraulic set with the backing plate and swapped in the different ones with the backing plate and all. That's why the brake line had been pinched off at that wheel. The grease seal land is really messed up but the spindle and bearing lands look fine. Not sure how that happened. Perhaps something broke off originally and rattled around and managed to get jammed in the hub on the seal land. So now I have to find a seal kit with a sleeve. Doing all this for free. Well, He thinks I am. His wife and I know differently.