Can I tow with this cover on?

superbenk

Commander
I have a factory snap on mooring cover that is in great shape & fits snug. We're doing a 6 hour drive up to NY with the boat for the first time tomorrow & I'm wondering if it's safe to tow with the cover on or if I should take it off & stow it until we get there?

2013-10-29%252017.42.47.jpg

2013-10-29%252017.43.08.jpg

2013-10-29%252017.41.46.jpg

NYBo

Admiral
It might be possible, depending on the aerodynamics of the tow vehicle/boat combination. But I wouldn't risk it.

Where ya headed?

superbenk

Commander
Heading up to Canandaigua Lake for the week. We go there very year. I grew up there. Can't wait!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nope, You will have a huge hole where the support poles attach.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I trailered my searay from Florida to Wisconsin with the cover in place. I had a bunch of things in the cockpit that I wanted to remain covered. the cover flapped a bit and wore thin where it was hitting a few items. if you can, I recommend pulling the covers off and simply stowing them.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah better to stow it. You're only talking about a 6 hour drive, how long do you spend out on the lake with the cover off? Just make sure everything inside is fastened down well so nothing blows out like jackets, carpet, or cushions.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've been towing with that exact snap-on, two piece mooring cover since day one with my sig boat. Lots of long distance towing in all types of conditions with both the front and rear support poles in place. My rear has 4 more of those bungee hold downs. The cover itself, a Taylor Made branded cover, very specifically denotes not to tow with it but I am a rebel who likes to live on the very edge of right and wrong. Point is there have been no negative consequences of towing this many years with the cover. I might lower the support poles just a bit for driving. One example is not a credible sample size but has been my experience for what it is worth.

davg

Cadet
At least put some straps over the covers and tie them to the trailer. The mooring cover is not designed for towing but in the old days all tow covers were fastened with snaps,,not straps. Its a toss up,,,but I would back up my bet with straps.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
interesting...I've got a full snap cover for my cuddy, trailered it dozens of times for 100's of miles, not a snap ever came loose,, not once

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
interesting...I've got a full snap cover for my cuddy, trailered it dozens of times for 100's of miles, not a snap ever came loose,, not once
A sanp on cover is fine to tow with. I have one for my boat as well. You just don't want to do it if it has a support pole.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
I have the same style (and brand) of bow and cockpit covers on my boat, a support pole in the middle of each, I tow everywhere with them on. I just make sure that before each trip the support poles are up high enough to make the canvas snug so it won't flap. I'd put that bimini top down though, or remove it during towing, that is a lot of side to side motion and stress on the mounts. I have snap in carpet that starts to flap above 30mph on the water, I can't imagine that it'd stay in the boat too long if I towed without the covers on, and the snap in carpet is a b_tch to remove without breaking snaps, so taking out it out for each trip is not even an option in my mind.