Help with trailer refurbish (How cut diamond plate aluminum?)

oldjeep

Admiral
I've got a Thermal Dynamics machine, cuts fine but for straight lines in just about anything there are easier/cleaner options unless you have a cnc setup. I thought I would use it a ton when I bought it 6? years ago, not sure I'd notice if it was gone.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just need to clamp on a straight edge and run the torch along it.

I have a hypertherm. Use it a lot for cutting stainless plate for projects.

Last edited:
I've got a Thermal Dynamics machine, cuts fine but for straight lines in just about anything there are easier/cleaner options unless you have a cnc setup. I thought I would use it a ton when I bought it 6? years ago, not sure I'd notice if it was gone.

if you hold the torch in your right hand then grab the cable about 2 foot down with your left, then instead of moving your right hand pull on the cable with your left and let the right hand be dragged you can cut a straight steady line. I worked sheet metal for years and I always hated aluminum checker plate. The laser had to cut it upside down and checkers rattled on the rollers so it was never perfect. The guillotine had a magnetic assist so on aluminum you had to back cut which was slow and hard work. Table saw worked well but everyone knew you was cutting aluminum and the chips get everywhere. Worst of all was the knowledge that if you was cutting it you would be the one tig welding it later. I hated cleaning the edge with solvent just about as much as welding with gloves on (hf hurts like hell)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a Harbor Freight Plasma cutter and it works fine. I also cut aluminum plate on my table saw.