Help with trailer refurbish (How cut diamond plate aluminum?)

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the process of refurbishing my boat trailer and want to replace he carpeted step pads with diamond plate aluminum. I am looking for suggestions on what to use to cut the diamond plate stock in order to get an accurate and straight cut. All suggestions appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm in the process of refurbishing my boat trailer and want to replace he carpeted step pads with diamond plate aluminum. I am looking for suggestions on what to use to cut the diamond plate stock in order to get an accurate and straight cut. All suggestions appreciated.

7 1/4 inch metal saw blade with eye protection and ear muffs
http://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-21882AL714060CT-Circular-Aluminum/dp/B001QL13MQ

Best thing is a hydraulic chop saw but who has a spare 5 to 10K

oldjeep

Admiral
Yup, circular saw works fine, you can even just use a fine tooth wood blade. I cut a crapload of that stuff for one of my jeeps. Make sure you cut outside, the noise is deafening.

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Is there any reason I can't mount this blade on a table saw so that I can set up jig or guide?..I understand "careful" is the the word of the day.

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Old Jeep, did you have to do much to clean up he cuts like file down sharp edges, etc? How did your project turn out?

oldjeep

Admiral
Old Jeep, did you have to do much to clean up he cuts like file down sharp edges, etc? How did your project turn out?

It cut clean, didn't have any burs. Turned out fine, it was a bunch of floor plates and some side cladding.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've had good luck with a "dualsaw" - the ones with counter-rotating blades. Was about $65 at Costco. Worked great on check plate and also on the thinner stuff. Still a lot of noise, though.

Bondo

Staff member
Is there any reason I can't mount this blade on a table saw so that I can set up jig or guide?..I understand "careful" is the the word of the day.

Ayuh,.... Any wood workin' saw will cut aluminum nicely,... carbide tips help immensely,... Gotta be Sharp,...

The "Problem" I've had is with the blades loadin' up with aluminum,....
I've found Bee's wax to be My cure,.... once the blade warms, it takes the wax great,...
Or cuttin' in the Winter,.... snow in 1 hand, 'n yer saw in the other,....;)

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,.... Any wood workin' saw will cut aluminum nicely,... carbide tips help immensely,... Gotta be Sharp,...

The "Problem" I've had is with the blades loadin' up with aluminum,....
I've found Bee's wax to be My cure,.... once the blade warms, it takes the wax great,...
Or cuttin' in the Winter,.... snow in 1 hand, 'n yer saw in the other,....;)

Yup, I cut aluminum with my woodworking tools all the time. It's safe and effortless. Wear eye and hearing protection.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when cutting aluminum make sure you have a good amount of doall wax sticks. lubricate the blade often.

we use a carp-ton of this at work for aluminum fabrication. we use the table saw every day for straight cuts as well as a circular saw. a good carbide blade and wax, and you can cut up to 1/2" aluminum with ease. any thicker and I recommend multiple depth cuts.

you can also use a router to round over the edges a bit. also remember to wax the work surface for this.

make sure you wear a face shield and ear plugs. the chips go everywhere and the sound is quite deafening

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
show off... I would have said, use a laser or water jet, however the average person doesnt work at an aluminum and stainless metal mashing place like I do.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you clamp a straight edge as a guide to the aluminum the saw will cut as straight as long as you can keep the saw firmly up against the straight edge. Works well with a cold cut saw as well. PPE face shield glasses under them and definitely ear plugs/muffs or even both. You only get one chance with this level of decibels, there is no return from industrial deafness.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
show off... I would have said, use a laser or water jet, however the average person doesnt work at an aluminum and stainless metal mashing place like I do.
I did a horse trailer refurb and did a ton of diamond plate on it. Where I bought my 4x8 sheet just cut it for me with their huge brake to my specs. Might have been $5 per cut for the major cuts and I just did the smaller ones myself.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I've got one, but honestly would rather use a skill saw to cut straight lines in aluminum.

Yep, you do have to clean up the edge a bit. Depends on how good your plasma cutter cuts. Need a clean new tip. Also, those Chinese ones suck at doing this.