Can I tow a 21' Starcraft CC with a 1991 Toyota Pickup - V6

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
I think the subject says it all. I have a 1991 Toyota 4x4 Regular cab, manual trans. I installed wiring for a trailer, and have a ball mounted to the step bumper.

TIA!

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am going with yes! I believe that you have a 5000lb towing rating, but you need to check that, and the starcraft is a fairly light boat. Just be careful and remember that it is harder to brake than accelerate. Frankly I have towed more behind an 88 forerunner with a four cylinder and not felt unsafe. Underpowered sure, but not unsafe.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your towing capacity is 3500# so the answer is likely no depending on how much your boat weighs.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats, Lago.

I say yes. Hull is 1000# plus motor 400, plus batteries and fuel 200, plus gear 200, plus trailer 800-1000. So it should be under 3000#

I want a 21'er so bad, but can't find one in Wisconsin without spending a fortune.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Don't use the bumper. There is no way the height will be correct, even if it has adequate capacity. You want the trailer to be level. Get a receiver hitch.

But first, get the rig weighed.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Don't use the bumper. There is no way the height will be correct, even if it has adequate capacity. You want the trailer to be level. Get a receiver hitch.

But first, get the rig weighed.

+1 ball on bumper...no no there..(for that boat anyway). your towing capasity is determined by connecting to frame properly, not the bumper...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Besides, with a bumper mounted ball, the first time you jack the trailer a little too far, (and you will) you will bend the coupler and tongue. Frame hitches are inexpensive and you can install one yourself.

For many years, I towed a 21 foot Manatee cuddy (all up weight of 3900 pounds INCLUDING trailer) with a Chevy S10 4.3 V6. Of course, the S10 was rated to tow 4500.

64osby

Admiral
"CC" as in center console or cuddy cabin?

If it's a center console and your rated at 3500#s you should be okay, but I don't think it will be fun at all. The biggest issue will be the size of the boat and TV, end up with the tail wagging the dog. Make sure the trailer has working brakes.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Would be nice to know year and model of the boat and if it has an I/O or O/B.

yeos

Cadet
I got my curt hitch from autoanything for a good price. Installed it on my 94 Toyota pickup. You will have to remove the ball from the bumper. Easy to install.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I had a 4runner v6 (it had the 3.4 you have the 3.slow). It did great with around 2500lbs. You need trailer brakes and a hitch and you will be ok. Just take it easy on that clutch and engine you will be fine.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
It's a 1986 with a Yamaha 115 outboard. The owner says it weighs around 2000lb's. I think you guys convinced me to buy a hitch. The trailer does not have brakes. Can those be installed? Thanks again...sorry for the delayed response.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes they can be installed and you will need a brake controller for your truck. I am sure you can search the form or start a new thread about getting help with the install.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Yes they can be installed and you will need a brake controller for your truck. I am sure you can search the form or start a new thread about getting help with the install.

The vast majority of boat trailers, ESPECIALLY for that size, are hydraulic surge brakes... No controller needed, your right foot pushing on the brakes is the controller.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered a Curt class III hitch from Amazon last night. My great idea for an inexpensive aluminum boat for family fun is snowballing rapidly. Maybe my wife won't realize the budget creep...then again, she's a forensic CPA :-(