trailer rehab

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so highly pissed at etrailer at the moment. Besides the crappy weld which we've discussed previously, which in grinding off the spring seats every one was the same, their ubolts from redline are very inconsistent in production. I'm no ubolt expert but a 5 1/2" ubolt should, at a minimum, be 5 1/2' long on both sides. Since I upped to a 6 leaf spring this was tight. I even called and was willing to get some longer shipped overnight but this is the longest they carry for this size axle. Like a puzzle, I was able to find which piece went where.

there was ONE that was even and it was shy about 1/8"

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
But, they are on. Is there a torque requirement or just tight as a man's friend(s) in a really cold lake?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah actually when I picked up to put in truck to go to the parts store I dropped to the tailgate and it rattled loose from where ever it was lodged in there. Took a few minutes of rattling around to get it to drop out. Glad I found it before putting on.

The king nut locking mechanism is a bit different than I've seen before. Had to study on it a few to make sure I didn't jack anything up when removing it. Kinda like a clamp over the nut rather than a cotter or a tab.

RG05-100_500.jpg

Got conference call meetings for next couple hours but brakes on, all bearings packed, hub seal and first bearing in. Spindles scotch bright cleaned.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Now need to use the Dexter 'Easy Lube' system. I packed full as I could anyway, less pumping. Tomorrow, the dreaded wiring....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
OMG i hate wiring.

red to yellow
green to brown
brown to green
blue to blue then to black

These people should be shot.

Got all the work at the hitch done, tomorrow the brake hubs and all the new lights.

heat shrink plus liquid tape

Last edited:

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hate to be a wet blanket but those welds on the upside down U-brackets for the spring shackles look pretty dainty from way out here in the cornfields, plus a pretty long lever arm as the axles twist as the trailer turns on a tight radius under load. If they did those with a MiG welder I would not accept that nor trust that for road useage as the weld is likely to be sitting on the surface with negligible penetration. E7018s or E6011 stick would be the only way I would fly if I were doing the job in my shop. A second step would be to scab on some vertical flat bar so you could get more weld area. There could also be a vertical bolt inside of there and I could be the one all wet. Just trying to be helpful and err on the side of caution rather than poke holes in what otherwise seems like a nice, detailed job.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well it is done.

almost.

ran out of time and going to be travelling next few weeks including weekends so wanted to get it back to storage.

Only thing left to do is to do some slight modification for the wheel fenders since the new axles are longer by about 3" and we welded about 2" off from where the old hangers were. Plus you never could stand on them they were not supported for that.

new spare and hanger

and believe it or not the wiring worked. I really f... hate wiring but it is all done.

oldjeep

Admiral
Nice job, did you get to put any miles on it, or just straight back into a close garage?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Only about 2 miles to storage. When I get back I'll need to winterize (or get it done) so either I'll pull around a few miles before pulling into driveway or there is a good spot about about 15 miles (halfway) to where I get work done about 15 miles so I'll check the lugs and everything else.

Looked good backing in to my slot - didn't see an twist on the tires like I used to.

Hope the welds hold...

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cross the chains.

yeah just learned that here this year need to get out of the old habit. Did today.

Took to the shop to get winterized and they are going to pull of one side riser/manifold to see what it looks like. About a 25 mile trip hubs felt good one a bit warm I'll pull nut off and reset in case I got it too tight. Pulled well, brakes worked.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not a fan of the Dexter EZ Lube. I have them on 14 trailer axles at work...if the seals do not fit really tight in the hubs it is really easy to blow the seal and pump a bunch of grease into the brakes...but maybe on a boat axle if the seal isn't real tight in the hub the hub, seal or both need to be replaced.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Almost done getting the fenders back on, had to move them due to putting the new hangers a few inches off form the old and bigger tires and slightly wider axles. Up the street get welded. Then to the shop to get ready for the water...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
redneck, I didn't know you had a trailer rehab thread until today. I already have finished my trailer back to life thread. Hope you finish up with a great trailer as well. I'll have to keep a watch for future posts... :thumb:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hope you didn't fall asleep too much if you read any of it... :

Actually that should just be about it, might put on a different winch and need to get the bunks a bit closer in a couple areas. Oh plus I got side bunks aka guides that I need to finish got he mounting brackets welded on this go round.

For sure though just read up on another thread and learned about proportional versus times brake controllers. Today was the first time i've really pulled the boat anywhere - its about 30 miles on backroads to my mechanic and dayum there is a huge difference between this and my old truck, which did have the proportional. Need to order asap.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Also consider hooking your chains from the top down instead of from the bottom up...

Lots of people hook them the way you have them thinking it will keep them from getting unhooked but it actually works better the other way.
The only way they would ever come unhooked is if they swing wildly to the point of getting thrown above the hook point.... At that point the way you have them the hook would be pointing up and could simply fall out.
Not likely but possible.