trailer rehab

oldjeep

Admiral
new question - how do I tell if my controller in the cab is for one or two sets of brakes?

It would be rare for it to only be good for 1, usually you see them rated for 2 or 3. What kind of controller is it? (and if it isn't a Tekonsha Prodigy p2 or p3 then just throw it away) ;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it is a Cequent.

looks like this but I don't have the blue button on top (above the 42), but it has a lever on the side? What would that be?

Untitled12965019444d470cb8bedce.jpg

TEKONSHA PRIMUS™ IQ BRAKE CONTROL
• Works proportionally in reverse.
• No level adjustment necessary, adjusts to varying terrain as you drive.
• Digital display shows voltage to trailer during braking.
• Boost feature allows for customized braking.
• Pre-assembled wire harness for simple hook-up & quick disconnect.
• Diagnostic features incorporated in LED display.
• Electric trailer brake control for up to 3 braking axles.
• Limited Lifetime Warranty (some conditions apply).

I've only hauled once with a trailer with brakes; worked fine it was a dual axle but not sure how many had brakes on them. I looked at all the (current) models avail on the net and all are for multiple axles so I think I'm good.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this is sounding suspiciously easy.

Went to the boat yesterday, took off back wheels to get all measurements and looks like only thing not 'standard' is the spring center measurement @ 71 1/4".

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and when i took wheels off to measure I used jack stands on gravel......:peep:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a standard 7-way receptacle for a 7-way plug. Here's a description of the pin assignments: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/unclebobsuncle/2010-07-26_042220_faq043_ss_500.jpg

Just sent them an email hope they can help. The 'other' company I've tried to have help me have been very poor at responding and it turns out I'm dealing with the office manager. I guess $2000 doesn't mean what it used to and office manager doesn't mean what it used to.

My big thing is I want to get everything at one place, dealing wiht one person - but prefer square tube since my spring center is not standard and don't want to have to go find someone to weld. I guess I might have to.

etrailer has (round) axles that would work, but spring center off. I guess I could make sure there was enough room to have another set welded in the correct location? Or grind off the pre-welded ones and reattach?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
just was reading on etrailer and the stock Dexters are under axle and mine are over axle - there are people that have just welded on new seats. If southwest wheel doesn't come thru looks like I found my solution.

As long as I can add 3" overall to the width.....

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well........ $1697 worth of stuff on the way, including 5 new tires/wheels and a new spare mount for the tongue. Didn't order lights what I've got is good enough for now I guess.

Measured everything about 20 times and with what I have and all the changes I'm within an inch or so of all current, with space to spare. Hope it turns out...

going to have welded new spring seats on the bottom; they come with them on for top mount so my odd width won't matter
i'm currently running 205 14's C rating, went to D 225 15's.
went brakes on both axles
to match my current springs (C slipper style) had to go up to a 4100 leaf for an extra $5 each
got an 11' pigtail for the trailer side wiring

etrailer had best response/customer service of the 4 I've tried to deal with, plus their website is best functioning for someone who doesn't know what they need.

I'll be posting up with wiring questions for sure. Thanks for all the input thus far. Off to work the dirt in the yard to prep for grass seed.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If I can't find what trailer stuff here on iboats, etrailer is my second stop. They have really, really good customer service.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
no doubt - already have my ship notice, less than four hours after order placed and on a Saturday. iboats doesn't sell axles.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and it's here. Damn fast shipping.

yall stand by this weekend/early next week for wiring questions.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
never thought I'd see this in my driveway.

and some idiot forgot to loosen the lug nuts prior to jacking it up.

now to put the old wheels and (almost new) tires up on CL to try to get some of my money back...

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Impact wrench - you're going to want one when you start taking the axles off.

Using a cut off wheel on the bolts, not worth the effort to try to loosen on most of them I'll post pics of almost gone nuts.... Two off; headed to the hardware store to get a new wheel I had a crap one to start plus want to get a couple jack stands to help with removal/install of new stuff.

I can't believe how bad of shape this thing is in. I've never worried about a trailer before. Scary for what else is out there on the road. I've learned a LOT since coming here to iboats - upgrade issues be damned.

Question - I've got the C slipper leafs and the current have one each of the C's going to the equalizer. That doesn't seem prudent to me - shouldn't the closed ends go the the equalizer and the C go the the fixed hangar location (front/rear)?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Using a cut off wheel on the bolts, not worth the effort to try to loosen on most of them I'll post pics of almost gone nuts.... Two off; headed to the hardware store to get a new wheel I had a crap one to start plus want to get a couple jack stands to help with removal/install of new stuff.

I can't believe how bad of shape this thing is in. I've never worried about a trailer before. Scary for what else is out there on the road. I've learned a LOT since coming here to iboats - upgrade issues be damned.

Question - I've got the C slipper leafs and the current have one each of the C's going to the equalizer. That doesn't seem prudent to me - shouldn't the closed ends go the the equalizer and the C go the the fixed hangar location (front/rear)?

No idea, never used slipper springs on a tandem setup. My tandems that used leafs all had shackles at the equalizer end.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

sh......................t

the hanger snapped while trying to pound out the bolt....