Hydraulic or electric brakes

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
why?

Boat in sig below, minimum 20 minutes each way on back roads, usually 45 each way sometimes 2 hours on highway.

Boat 4000 dry, usually full 75 gallons plus wife's stuff. Steel trailer.

bgc

Ensign
I like my 10"and12" electric brakes. When the rust up or wear out $80 get me a new pair of assemblies (shoes, springs, magnets, backing plates,ect). Its also nice to have a control in the cab to actuate and adjust the sensitivity of the brakes.
The hydraulic surge brakes went to the scrap yard......

oldjeep

Admiral
That thing only weighs 4000lbs?

I like surge brakes for boat trailers, you get enough wiring issues just with the trailer lights. My car trailers have all had electric brakes though.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
surge breaks on mine, pulling 20ft cuddy......... effective and less parts involved... making sure my trailer lights work properly is enough work for me... would think they both would rust up about same... salt water obviously much quicker

bgc

Ensign
According to the PO's records this set was put on in 2004. I have had the boat since 2010, whey still work just look bad.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That thing only weighs 4000lbs?

I like surge brakes for boat trailers, you get enough wiring issues just with the trailer lights. My car trailers have all had electric brakes though.

yessir per specs here on iboats plus Carver website had sales lit and specs. I've not weighed it but solid glass hull and no foam.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so its looking like a Ford / Chevy thing.....

I've had surge on a 7500 dry weight and liked them. I've pulled a 24 box once about 800 miles with electric I felt like I had more control with the electric and as bgc stated I like the adjustability. That said, trailer wiring hates me with a passion only exceeded by my ex wife.

I'm going to replace everything under the frame and thought even though light i'd put an axle with brakes on while i'm under there.

oldjeep

Admiral
so its looking like a Ford / Chevy thing.....

I've had surge on a 7500 dry weight and liked them. I've pulled a 24 box once about 800 miles with electric I felt like I had more control with the electric and as bgc stated I like the adjustability. That said, trailer wiring hates me with a passion only exceeded by my ex wife.

I'm going to replace everything under the frame and thought even though light i'd put an axle with brakes on while i'm under there.

Really to me the only reason I won't run surge brakes on my car trailers (anymore) is the lack of the "oh S&*T" feature when the trailer tries to pass the truck going down an icy hill. Not an issue on the boat trailers since they would never be run in the winter.

bgc

Ensign
But there's less people to deal with at the ramps in the winter???

Yup just like Ford vs Chevy or Bias vs Radial.....

Southwestwheel is where we have been buying axels, been very happy with the service and custom sizes.

bfjou812

Seaman Apprentice
I've used both, I had a stock car trailer that would carry probably 10,000 lbs., I only had it loaded to 4,500 lbs. I used electric brakes and never had a problem with them. I could adjust them from the tow vehicle via the electronic controller without any problems. I towed a few surge trailers and hated each and every one of them, going down a hill the surge brakes kept trying to stop me. The only good thing about that was there was less wear on the brakes on my tow vehicle..........