Trailer Vibrates At High Speeds

Joepapar

Seaman
I tow a Ranger 188vs on a Ranger Trail single axle trailer. Last year a blew out a bearing and since then I've replaced the tires with new Carlisles, had the tires balanced twice and installed new vortex wheel bearings. When I reach 60 mph I start to feel a vibration that occurs in a consistent cadence. It will vibrate for about 5 seconds, stops for a few seconds, vibrates for 5 seconds, stops for a few seconds, etc. I've towed it with my neighbor's truck with the same result so i think I've isolated it to the trailer but I don't know what's causing it. Any thoughts out there?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going through the exact same thing if you want to read the thread. I still haven't been able to fix it. I'm down to something with the brakes, I think, do you have surge brakes on your trailer?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have a wheel end imbalance: tire/wheel, brake drum/rotor-possibly bearings.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
the surge brakes if adjusted correctly (drums) and not dragging should do nothing unless the drum or rotor are totally unbalanced. Some places can balance the entire assembly and not only rim and tire. Naturally it can be caused by something completely different. All mechanical structures (like a trailer) have mechanical resonances and if they "fall together" they can cause grief.

Joepapar

Seaman
I jacked up each wheel and each tire has a large flat spot. I put a new set of tires on last fall. Had one replaced mid spring with a new one, under warranty because it was severely out of round. Now both have flat spots. I guess my next question is, could there be something else wrong with the trailer that would cause these tires to develop flat spots or does Carlisle make a terrible tire? Bearings feel tight, no play. Any thoughts?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
if these are bias ply tires they can develop flat spots very easy from sitting with the full load for a bit of a time (1 week plus). As longer they sit as worse it gets. They usually go back over time but also might get damaged while they are out of round.

Joepapar

Seaman
Thanks for all of the help. Put 150 miles on a new set of maxxis radial tires today, went from 0-70 without any vibration. My recommendation would be to stay away from bias ply Carlisles on a single axle bass boat trailer. Save yourself some time, money and frustration.