Welded guide-ons breaking off

superbenk

Commander
I'm wondering how hard it'd be to fix these guide-ons that are welded (from the factory) onto this Four Winns trailer of mine. Obviously they've rusted a bit around the welds & the welds have cracked (obviously they weren't meant to be steps!). I have a friend with a stick welder but neither of us have ever used one (his late FIL left it behind). I have used a MIG welder years ago with success so I'm not completely foreign to welding. Just curious if this should be an easy fix or if I should take it to a welding shop for repair? Note that the trailer is coated in a plastic/urethane type coating (I think it's called "Alligator Skin"). It was pretty easy to score with a utility knife and peel it away from the welds.

Here's some pictures:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And a couple short videos showing the damage a bit more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7TeEja-jc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDLLFj9zmFY

real simple fix with a welder. Better to remove the boat before grinding as the hot sparks can stick to fiberglass but it can be done with the boat on the trailer if they cover the hull with blankets. A reinforcement patch underneath say 4" square would stop the piece breaking again as it looks like a flex crack.
Quick spray over with undercoat and it should be nearly invisible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take it too a welder. There is no issue keeping the boat on the trailer at all.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
IMO that is a poor design...... I agree with Glenn that looks like it is flexing going down the road causing a stress crack, I would do as glenn suggested and add a couple gussets to each upright.....

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
yes, poor design.... The weld actually held but the material which was weakened from the heat of the weld actually gave up. Easy to fix and as was sais above add some triangle pieces of steel in both directions.

bigdee

Commander
IMO that is a poor design...... I agree with Glenn that looks like it is flexing going down the road causing a stress crack, I would do as glenn suggested and add a couple gussets to each upright.....

^^^X2^^^ Those were my thoughts too.