Trailer tires extreme wear on outside. Need help!

Hambone33

Recruit
This is my first post and I can't post pictures so I will describe my problem in this post and see if I can add pictures later. I bought a used (and abused) duck boat which sits on a McClain trailer. The tires show excessive wear on the outside with the left tire being the worst. I already know the bearings need replacing. Here is what I have checked so far. 1) with trailer setting on a level garage floor measured axle height above floor both ends and middle. All three exactly the same. 2) measured distance from rear corner of trailer frame to front of axle. Left side is 1/2 inch farther forward than right side. 3) spring mount brackets are exactly the same distance from rear of trailer frame 4) measured from CL of spring mount bolt to center of axle. Left side is farther forward. Looks like the axle is farther back on one side but that distance does not seem adjustable due to the hole in the spring that determines where axle is mounted. Checked outside of tires with carpenters square on floor and the both angle in at the top about 1/4 inch ??? That should cause wear on the inside of tire shouldn't it? Guys I need help and can't find a trailer repair shop anywhere close.

Hambone33

Recruit
Well, I have been trying to post some photos. I guess you have to have permission to post photos. When I search permission to post photos I get instructions on how to form a group. I guess there is some kind an album you have to create but when I follow those instructions and go to my profile there is not option to post photos, just video. If anybody can help me with clear instructions please post them. Otherwise I will just have to rely on my text description above. Why in the world isn't there an icon to post photos when you are creating a post like on all other forums I participate in?? Sheesh..this is frustrating.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
the axle not being square under the frame could cause it to dogtrack BUT it wouldn't cause a wear issue... the bearings MIGHT cause it but most likely the axle beam is bent... Possibly someone hung it on a rock pulling out or hooked a strap or chain to the center of the axle to pull or be pulled for whatever reason... If bearings don't fix the issue replace the axle OR just replace the axle right away with one that comes with new bearings n hubs n be done with it.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
+1 or the spindle itself could be bend. Can happen it you run in a good enough pothole.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my first post and I can't post pictures so I will describe my problem in this post and see if I can add pictures later. I bought a used (and abused) duck boat which sits on a McClain trailer. The tires show excessive wear on the outside with the left tire being the worst. I already know the bearings need replacing. Here is what I have checked so far. 1) with trailer setting on a level garage floor measured axle height above floor both ends and middle. All three exactly the same. 2) measured distance from rear corner of trailer frame to front of axle. Left side is 1/2 inch farther forward than right side. 3) spring mount brackets are exactly the same distance from rear of trailer frame 4) measured from CL of spring mount bolt to center of axle. Left side is farther forward. Looks like the axle is farther back on one side but that distance does not seem adjustable due to the hole in the spring that determines where axle is mounted. Checked outside of tires with carpenters square on floor and the both angle in at the top about 1/4 inch ??? That should cause wear on the inside of tire shouldn't it? Guys I need help and can't find a trailer repair shop anywhere close.

You will have to correct the highlighted noted problems first. Will have to determine why/how the axle is misaligned.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I put new tires on my tlr for my 12' boat and towed it 1300 mi. At the end of trip the tread was almost worn into the cord. It never got many miles on it 'til then and I finally found someone before me had tweaked the C-channel axle on both sides so it was toed in excessively. Replaced it with a tube axle and EZ lube spindles. IMO the EZ lube is superior to bearing buddies so far as keeping water out.
Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you know the bearings are bad, replace them and then troubleshoot. Have you jacked up each wheel and checked for free-play (slop in the bearing)?. We can speculate all day but why not do the needed repairs first.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The only reason I came up with was because IF he ended up replacing the axle (which he very likely needs to) he could get new bearings and hubs at the same time....