trailering clips

abogle

Cadet
Need some help with regard to trailering clips. I just purchased these (pic) from Sierra, but they seem to be too short. Now I haven't lowered the outdrive to fit "snug" against them (it's trimmed all the way up) , but i'm hesitant to because it appears the O/D would be too low to the ground. Are these clips supposed to be longer or simply be clipped on, as they are now, to be a safety net in case the hydraulics were to fail.

Your help is appreciated!

Attachments

• photo204555.jpg
    photo204555.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
These clips should cover the entire rod with only ~1/2" short. When you use them don't power the drive down hard into them. Just enough so they can't fall out.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
These clips should cover the entire rod with only ~1/2" short. When you use them don't power the drive down hard into them. Just enough so they can't fall out.

+1

However, try lowering the OD on them. If the OD is still 12" above the ground they should work OK.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When I used to use them some years back I had Velcro straps to wrap around them so I would not loose them. Later on I decided to cancel using them as it was just something else to remember to put on and not worth the trouble. If you maintain your system as I do then when was the last time you ever saw a trim system failure while going down the road?

abogle

Cadet
They did say they were for Volvo Penta SX, but it was only until I received them that I learned (from the back of the package) that they are for 2007 or newer SX's. I wouldn't think that 2 years in age would matter much, but maybe so. I did trim down with them on and only have about 6-7" of clearance. Thank you for the responses!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Too short. Send them back if you can. Get the longer ones if you can and cut them to fit.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you maintain your system as I do then when was the last time you ever saw a trim system failure while going down the road?

Lost a cylinder seal on the last outboard motor that I didn't have an M-Y Wedge. How do you 'maintain' against shock loading ... ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You never know when something is going to happen. $20 trailer clips or $8K stern drive...your choice.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Accomplish same thing by purchasing a strap, connect on transom ring under the drive in the trailering position, connect to other ring and pull tight.....I too thought about buying some of the clips, gonna go the strap route..

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They did say they were for Volvo Penta SX, but it was only until I received them that I learned (from the back of the package) that they are for 2007 or newer SX's. I wouldn't think that 2 years in age would matter much, but maybe so.

Volvo came out with the SX-A drive in 2007 which is a redesigned trim cylinder in comparison to the pre-2007 SX drives. Those look like they are designed for cylinders with trim limiter spacers inside.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
You can make your temporary own ones from PVC or ABS pipe. Had to do that once when the lift didn't hold and I had to get the boat home from the storage place to fix it. Cut a piece of PVC pipe open lengthwise with two cuts on a table saw and you have your $2 clips. Used them for 4 years until the sun got the best of them. A bit of plastic paint would have prevented that.

Last edited: