Which washers?

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing all the hardware on my trailer as it goes in salt water and some of the keel roller bolts appear to be disintegrating. I ordered 316 stainless steel for all the nuts, bolts, and washers (flat and lock), but I noticed that what I pulled off were these heavy pyramid washers. I ordered some of those but I am undecided as to what would be better. The pyramid washers will be galvanized but I think they are very thick. Any thoughts on what would be better?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
They say "best use for u-bolts in heavy duty applications" for pyramid washers. If the pyramid washers were there from factory, I say continue to use them. Galvanized are corrosion resistant, but not as good as stainless so you may want to find stainless pyramid washers.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I have not been able to find SS pyramid washers (at least not at my West Marine). I used galvanized with SS bolts and nuts. Holding up fine in salt water.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Careful guys on SS bolts and nuts. If you're pulling out grade 5 or above galvanized then you need to replace with the same grade, not SS.
Even an old man like me can snap 1/2 in. 316 SS bolts to remove.

Pyramid washers, WHY??? If it's to raise the bolt head/nut for convenience or is it to do what the washers are designed to do. To spread out the high torque of a grade 5+ bolt. If it's the latter then SS is a very poor choice, they even seem to take the torque spec. needed, but they may elongate inside where you can't see and could fail when you need them most.

Sorry guys.....this screams of the wrong application for SS.......... be careful.

bolts.gif

huts

Last edited:

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hungup, Looks looks I need to look into this more. Wish I had asked before spending $100 on stainless bolts.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
There are SS bolts with higher ratings but not as a replacement for the "toughest" steel bolts. To confuse things the best their ratings have different numbers....

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I called the bolt depot who said my 316`s were equivalent to Grade 2. They would take a return but I'd have to pay for more shipping. I then called the local trailer once who said they thought Grade 2 would be fine for my keel rollers, so I am still on the fence about this.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
How heavy is your boat?

I notice here in San Diego, at the salt water launch ramps, almost all of the newer galvanized trailers use SS fastners for bolt on stuff (rollers/bunks/etc.). No idea of type SS or grade.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey jump off the fence and use the SS for the keel rollers. They will be fine. Problem arises when your going to the high torque of grade 5+.
Sorry for putting any doubt in your use of SS.
The pyramid washers can be used like lock washers and will not scrape the paint/galvanizing off like the spiral or star lock washers will.
You'll like the 316 SS it takes some work but it can polish up nice.. On the trailer it should last well beyond the life of the trailer.
huts

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
So I called the bolt depot who said my 316`s were equivalent to Grade 2. They would take a return but I'd have to pay for more shipping. I then called the local trailer once who said they thought Grade 2 would be fine for my keel rollers, so I am still on the fence about this.

for keel rollers you won't need grade 5 or higher. That's only for structural parts like axle attachment or tongue to trailer or coupler to tongue. There are SS bolts available up to the equivalent of grade 8 but they are very difficult to get and very expensive. When I needed/wanted them I had more luck to get them in metric sizes.

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, back to my original question of which washers. I am thinking I can use either the pyramid washers it'd the stainless steel (flat with a lock washer). The stainless steel is much thinner but won't corrode as fast but the pyramid is so thick it would last a long time as well.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
I would mix materials to the minimum amount possible. Even though the trailer usually isn't wet dissimilar metals lead to galvanic corrosion IF they get wet.
In other words: if you use SS bolts and nuts use SS washers too. Tin and zinc are at the bottom of the chain (that's why they are used to protect your outdrive/prop) and SS is pretty high = large voltage potential difference.

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I would mix materials to the minimum amount possible. Even though the trailer usually isn't wet dissimilar metals lead to galvanic corrosion IF they get wet.
In other words: if you use SS bolts and nuts use SS washers too. Tin and zinc are at the bottom of the chain (that's why they are used to protect your outdrive/prop) and SS is pretty high = large voltage potential difference.

I assume his trailer is galvanized. If so, putting a galvanized pyramid washer against the galvanized frame and fastening with a SS bolt will be no different w/regard to galvanic corrosion than if the whole fastening system were SS.