trailer tire recommendations

There is an ongoing discussion on a local fishing site about tire failures concerning Carlisle tires. I've used their tires without problems for years. I need 4 new tires on my boat trailer ASAP. What tires do members here like? Anybody know anything about the Duro brand available at Firestone?

oldjeep

Admiral
I've not had any issues with Carlisle, Kenda Loadstar and Trail America. Only thing I wouldn't put on one of my trailers are Goodyear Marathons. Never heard of the Duro brand before, so no help there.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most tire failures are due to under-inflation, whether it occurs en route, or failure to check inflation beforehand. Also there is a tendency for people to run trailer tires way past their usable age, which brings up another issue altogether (usable age-how long). I've seen tires on trailers 15-20 years old, which is at least 3 times longer than they should be in service, regardless how much tread they have left.

The Duro tires should be fine, assuming that you keep them properly inflated, and replace them when they begin to show their age. Just be sure they are rated to handle the load you intend to put on them.

John

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Carlisle had some issues years ago and that's still "communicated" on the internet. Same for most of the other brands but they haven't been hit as hard by the "internet memory". The issue is that most of these tires are actually not even designed by these companies but are just ordered with the company logo on it from China. As they push their prices down as much as they can the quality also deteriorates until it reaches the point where it's really lousy. Once the market "complains" they go better again for a while.
Good rubber compound is a lot more expensive than a lousy one and quality control costs money too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've run 15 year old bias ply auto tires on my trailer with no problems and no sidewall cracking. (indoor storage out of the sun and the load capacity met the requirements.) I've also seen 3 year old radial ST tires that WERE fully inflated and also kept in a garage, but they self-destructed at 55 mph.

Three of my current trailers had OEM Kenda tires and were replaced with the same. No issues. Another one came OEM with Carlisles and they self-destructed on the very first road trip. They were replaced under warranty and I sold them on CL and bought Kendas.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
I prefer Maxxis tires - they make a heavier load range tire for my 15" rims.

bassman284

Commander
In a couple of years I'll give a report on my Hercules tires. I've only had them a year so too early to tell. Good so far, though.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are exceptions to everything. Everyone has his or her own experience. That experience does not make it representative. "My tire failed because it was a (fill in the blank)". "My tires are 75 years old, never had the air checked and I pull them 100 mph down the interstate hauling my battleship on a single axle". All this proves nothing. The biggest cause of tire failure by far is under-inflation. IF you buy tires that are suitable for what you need, maintain and monitor them, chances are you'll not have a problem. That's NOT to say you won't. A puncture en route could blow this theory out the window. That's why we have spares.

John

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In a couple of years I'll give a report on my Hercules tires. I've only had them a year so too early to tell. Good so far, though.
My Hercules tires failed at just less than 5 years. Tread started separating on all 4 tires.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
There is an ongoing discussion on a local fishing site about tire failures concerning Carlisle tires. I've used their tires without problems for years. I need 4 new tires on my boat trailer ASAP. What tires do members here like? Anybody know anything about the Duro brand available at Firestone?

I tried the Duro brand motorcycle tires, they started chunking on the ride home from the shop. I have seen them on mowers that lasted though:indecisiveness:

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have used Duro tires exclusively on all my trailers. I bought the first set for my boat trailer back in 2005 and I have been nothing but impressed. I am so pleased with the product that I actually called the U.S. office and asked for a distributor in my area when I went to buy a second set. Not everyone stocks them because the name isn't well known outside of riding lawn mower, small utility trailer, and bicycle tires. I was able to source radials locally, but the the smaller PWC trailer tires I had to source over the internet. I feel they were the best deal for the money and honestly, I think I have the best quality too.

http://www.durotire.com/Portals/0/Images/Catalogs/TRAILER_TIRE_CATALOG.pdf

I felt that their product tended to be a little beefier than the other brands of comparable load ranges. They are all made in China which I can't really help. Most of the other brands are made overseas anyway except for a few Carlisle or Goodyears. I try and do my best to always buy domestic products :usa2:, but as you all know, that's pretty hard anymore.:frusty:

My 3.5k single axle boat trailer and my 5k single axle skid steer trailer have sets of Duro DS2100 Radials installed. Both of my PWC trailers have Duro HF232 tires installed.

Now, here is my disclaimer: I own a Coats 950 electronic wheel balancer. I have personally mounted and balanced each tire on my trailers. I can tell you that each tire/wheel assembly is just like a car tire in that most of the time, a little bit of weight was needed to correct for imbalance. I never feel my trailers pulling or vibrating at any speed. I always check tire pressures before I go anywhere since the trailers obviously do not get as much usage as my other vehicles. And just in case you are wondering: the two PWC trailers that I pull in tandem do not wag back and forth while pulling them at 70mph. My tongue weights are also adjusted accordingly.

To each their own experience, but for me I've had nothing but good luck with Duro brand trailer tires.

delms82

Seaman
I just purchased Carlisle Trail USA bias ply to carry my 18' Starcraft Nova. I believe they are only trailer tires left made in USA.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought four Maxxis for one trailer last year and another set for a 2nd trailer this year. Satisfied so far, but time will tell.