While we're on the subject, where can I get one of these cheap?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have one of these winch post caps on my trailer... one of those rubber things guys step on when dismounting from the bow of their boat onto their trailer to avoid getting their feet wet... supposed to keep you from busting your butt. Anyway, my rubber one has broken down from sun and heat and has gotten sticky, leaving black marks on the boat cover and sticking to my shoes. I've looked for them all over and while I can find them cheap... for just a buck or two or three... the shipping I've been quoted is up around $20!!!! That won't do at all.

Does anybody have a dealer who won't rape me on the delivered price? And yes, I did look at iboats but couldn't even find one, making the shipping a moot point.

Attachments

• photo204175.jpg
    photo204175.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have bought these exact ones before. They fit real tight and wont pop out. But they are hard plastic. not like the one you had.
Wow, I like this new link feature!

Maclin

Admiral
Those won't work if the post is closed off. Jay, is your winch post open or closed?

Maclin

Admiral
If it was closed what would be the point of putting a cap on it?

If you use it a a step off from the bow it would be nice to have some non-slip on it. Mine is closed and I have used it before as a step into the truck bed. If it is wet it can be treacherous. If mine was open I would have something in it or over it to keep from scraping skin against a metal edge during launching and retrieving. I just used some leftover vinyl step applique from another trailer on the top and edges, was why I wanted to know what Jay's setup was like.

oldjeep

Admiral
If you use it a a step off from the bow it would be nice to have some non-slip on it. Mine is closed and I have used it before as a step into the truck bed. If it is wet it can be treacherous. If mine was open I would have something in it or over it to keep from scraping skin against a metal edge during launching and retrieving. I just used some leftover vinyl step applique from another trailer on the top and edges, was why I wanted to know what Jay's setup was like.

Sounds like death either way. The trailer fenders have steps on them already

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Jay, we are all not getting younger..... I am pondering the idea to play it safe and add one of these:
503__26032_36039_26009_22846_.jpg

or at least a real step with non-skid mounted to the winch post....
127279_2000x2000.jpg

Last edited:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here you go:

Attachments

• photo204240.jpg
    photo204240.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
That's ideal for one of the above! Similar to mine too....

Maclin

Admiral
The fender/step on my little one is tucked under the boat some and my knee does not want to bend that way, so I have this on the back of my little one, it can be adapted to vertical mount also on a post, pretty neat though at the time seemed pricey to me, could not live without it now...:

image_204247.jpg

image_204246.jpg

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
one of those rubber things guys step on when dismounting from the bow of their boat onto their trailer to avoid getting their feet wet... supposed to keep you from busting your butt.

Well I have never seen anyone use that for a step.
I'm sure it is just for aesthetics, and to keep debris from ending up inside the post.

I for one, value the family jewels, and my back, shins, face, too much.

But I will keep a look out for people climbing on these, as it may prove entertaining. :)

oldjeep

Admiral
The fender/step on my little one is tucked under the boat some and my knee does not want to bend that way, so I have this on the back of my little one, it can be adapted to vertical mount also on a post, pretty neat though at the time seemed pricey to me, could not live without it now...:

Those are pretty cool. My trailer has what amount to running boards along both sides of the fenders so there is always a good place to step.