Trailer Shake - I'm out of ideas

Thalasso

Commander
Do know anyone or place that has a bubble balancer for tires? Try this before getting new drums and bearings. At least you will have an idea before spending anymore money.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
The other trailers I tow range in size and weight. My camper has a few thousand pounds on the boat and smooth as can be. The 2 flat beds tow well loaded and unloaded. It'll be a few days before I can get my hands on a good 2nd test tow vehicle.

Boy that sure limits wind turbulence as being the fault.

Same here, lots of different trailers all pull fine, but the boat 6+k will give me some problems in high winds and turnpike+ speeds before the small enclosed trailer will.
Still nothing like what your experiencing.

No harm in testing if you can. :noidea:

huts:pop2:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Do know anyone or place that has a bubble balancer for tires? Try this before getting new drums and bearings. At least you will have an idea before spending anymore money.

I'm not sure honestly, I haven't heard of a bubble balancer before. I may have to do some calling around.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Here are pictures of my springs. I feel like they are worn out, so not a waste to replace them. If you disagree let me know so I don't waste money if I don't need to. Thanks!

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
You have not described the frequency of the shaking. An out of balance spinning something is likely to be noticeable as a frequency that increases as the speed increases and is fairly high. A lower frequency that comes and goes is likely to be buffeting and/or resonance. Is your trailer really rated for the weight it is carrying?

I had a trailer that had a fairly long span center beam. This beam could be induced to flex at certain speeds or road conditions. This would cause a noticeable shaking of the tow vehicle at a fairly low frequency. The shaking would usually die out by itself.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
You have not described the frequency of the shaking. An out of balance spinning something is likely to be noticeable as a frequency that increases as the speed increases and is fairly high. A lower frequency that comes and goes is likely to be buffeting and/or resonance. Is your trailer really rated for the weight it is carrying?

I had a trailer that had a fairly long span center beam. This beam could be induced to flex at certain speeds or road conditions. This would cause a noticeable shaking of the tow vehicle at a fairly low frequency. The shaking would usually die out by itself.

It's a high frequency shake. You can get it to smooth out if you go fast enough, it's just really bad at a certain speed.

It's the trailer that was provided by crownline, so I would assume it is up to the task.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you gone over the trailer looking for broken welds, especially the fenders? Also, look at the bushings for the leaf springs and make sure they are intact.

NHGuy

Captain
Don't look for a bubble balancer. That method went out with the 70's. Look for weakness in the trailer structure, or as one poster said, look at tongue weight.
Boat trailers are notoriously tongue light. Trailering rule of thumb is 9 to 15% weight on the tongue. If you want to give it a try move a bunch of weight forward in the boat. If it has a forward belly tank, add some fuel or water. And conversely if it has stern tanks try them low or empty.
Or move some stuff. You gotta have stuff. Boats are stuff depositories!

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Have you gone over the trailer looking for broken welds, especially the fenders? Also, look at the bushings for the leaf springs and make sure they are intact.
I have looked and found no signs of structural problems. I checked the bushings and nothing glaring but the springs are on order unless people tell me its a waste.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Its a 1992. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Instead of working on it tonight I took her out for a dinner cruise. Keep it at 63 and no problems :)

That's 22 years with full weight on the springs. Even if they don't cause the resonance it might be a good idea to change them. 63mph isn't that bad with tires rated at 65....... I hope you can find the cause and fix it. No fun if trailers develop their on life.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Its a 1992. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Instead of working on it tonight I took her out for a dinner cruise. Keep it at 63 and no problems :)

brilliant idea in both cases....

I rarely hit 70 driving normally, usually about 65 when towing and dinner cruises, especially on weekdays, are my favorite. Watching the sun go down, beer in hand and a beautiful lady next to me.

I think the chase vehicle will tell you alot.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
It was a nice one out on the water last night!

If I was just using it at the lake by my house staying around 60 is no problem. I have some longer trips coming up though where speed limits are 70, and then 75 across the turnpike. I need to be able to run those speeds, if just for short distances, when in traffic.

It's supposed to be pushing 100 today then back into the 80's this week. I'm going to delay working on it for some cooler weather.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alignment? Is the axle 90 degrees to the frame? Do the tires wear evenly?
Any sign that the trailer has been damaged in some manner in the past and repaired?
What happens if you tow the trailer empty without the boat?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This may have been mentioned before, but are the rims true?
Have you spun the tires by hand while jacked up and looked for any issues?