My trailer tires don't show psi pressure?

wpg manitoba

Seaman
My trailer tires don't show the recommended psi? Why the $#@% would a company do this? What if they are 35psi and somebody assumes they are 50psi and the tires blow and kill someone? Is this what they want?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I suspect that they DO have it and you have just overlooked it..... Look for max weight such as 2550 lbs @ xx psi

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
As the US is the only country left with non-metric they may show the bar rating instead of PSI. Could be some back-door imports directly from China. Something like 3.45bar would be 50PSI, 3.1bar = 45PSI. If that's the case the load rating would be in kg instead of lbs too.

And that's not the recommended pressure it's the maximum load at a given pressure.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Check the inside of the tires, my load and psi rating is on the inside wall of the tire, have to crawl under and look at back wall of the tire, take a flashlight with you.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Check the inside of the tires, my load and psi rating is on the inside wall of the tire, have to crawl under and look at back wall of the tire, take a flashlight with you.

which means they were installed the wrong way....... Could mean nothing but there are tires which have a different wall construction on each side...

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
The pressure on the tires is the max working pressure the tires are designed for. There will be a sticker on the trailer from the trailer manufacturer that will give the tire size and pressure for the trailer's design load. The pressure shown on the sticker is the pressure you should be using.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
This makes absolutely no sense at all unless you trailer in circles.

Maybe not to you but to vehicle designers. There are tires with different side wall constructions inside and out which improves their "holding power". The tread will remain more level on the road that way in curves. Sure, they are mainly for high speed applications and these low end trailer tires most likely won't have that.

oldjeep

Admiral
Maybe not to you but to vehicle designers. There are tires with different side wall constructions inside and out which improves their "holding power". The tread will remain more level on the road that way in curves. Sure, they are mainly for high speed applications and these low end trailer tires most likely won't have that.

Sounds like nonsense when applied to 99% of the tires made. I mean jeeze pretty much any SUV or truck tire has white letters on one side and black on the other and you decide which way you want them mounted.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Sounds like nonsense when applied to 99% of the tires made. I mean jeeze pretty much any SUV or truck tire has white letters on one side and black on the other and you decide which way you want them mounted.

I agree. I have always been asked whether I wanted the lettering in or out.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The pressure shown on the sticker is the pressure you should be using.

My brand new trailer had no such sticker (not that it would have mattered anyway), but the recommended tire pressure IS on the tire sidewalls, close to the bead ... :rolleyes:

bigdee

Commander
The pressure shown on the sticker is the pressure you should be using.

My brand new trailer had no such sticker (not that it would have mattered anyway), but the recommended tire pressure IS on the tire sidewalls, close to the bead ... :rolleyes:

And that is what you should go by if you want to play safe. Max tire pressure=max tire integrity.

dazk14

Ensign
And that is what you should go by if you want to play safe. Max tire pressure=max tire integrity.

+3. Trailer tires get changed out all the time - especially the right side. The specific tires that are currently mounted are what's to be used.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Umm sidewalls experience the same loading... The left sidewall on the right side tire is going to be loaded nearly the same as the left sidewall of the left tire. And then flip it for when you turn the other way.

Maybe you are thinking directional tires? Some tires have a very definite 'inside' and 'outside', usually stamped on them, but it has nothing to do with sidewalls... Its for directional tread. Pretty rare on trailer tires, but I have seen a couple though. (really only makes a difference for trailers with brakes.) Directional tires are fairly common for vehicles.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Maybe you are thinking directional tires? Some tires have a very definite 'inside' and 'outside', usually stamped on them, but it has nothing to do with sidewalls... Its for directional tread.
If you have a tire that is directional and has an inside and outside designation, that tire will only be able to run on one side of the car. I am sure they have that type but they must be pretty rare.

oldjeep

Admiral
If you have a tire that is directional and has an inside and outside designation, that tire will only be able to run on one side of the car. I am sure they have that type but they must be pretty rare.

Pretty common on low profile tires, can't imagine a trailer tire like that. The Blizzaks on my Kia were directional (2 lefts and 2 rights)

herdsman

Cadet
Directional tires noted by inside and outside? That's a new one to me. I am very familiar with directional tires (e.g. ag tires) but they are labelled as to which direction they turn when the vehicle is moving forward, not which side they should be mounted on. They'll mount on either side you just need to make sure they rotate in the correct direction.