How hot should drums get?

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just replaced both wheel cylinders, bearings, races, seals, hub drums and bled the brake system. On one side the drum is significantly hotter than the other. I think the shoes are a little tight on the one side but am looking for guidance. Hubs are warm but not hot to the touch and a little warmer on the side with the hotter drum. Should there be drag when adjusting the shoes or no drag? I am about wits end on these brakes but still wonder how hot is too hot on the drum itself, not the hub. My ir gun measured about 120 on one side and 155 on the other. Hubs were about 100 and 130 respectively. Next time it'll be a disc conversion.

Thalasso

Commander
Drum brakes need to be rotated forward while adjusting. I don't see anything wrong with those temps. Now if your getting into the 200+ then i would be concerned. Adjust them to the point that they only rotate 1-1 1/2 turns by themselves

Last edited:

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a tandum with only one set of brakes. I measured mine last year and I recall the hubs with no drums were at high 90s and hubs with brakes were just over a 100 and the wheel was in the 110ish range. This was after a 40 mile haul in the high 80 to low 90* ambient temp. That sounded good to me.

If I were you, I would jack up your trailer and make sure it freely spins and if you cant get a few or 3 revolutions I would adjust. If you don't like adjusting (like me) buy dexter's Nev-R-adjust for about $90 a set and install them and forget about it. If you have electric brakes, if not maybe they have nev-r-adjust for hydraulic?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, One drum's shoes could be slightly tighter than the other but they will work approximately equal. Reason is that once one shoe hits its drum, no more pressure is really applied to that shoe until the brake fluid forces the other shoe onto the drum. Then they apply somewhat evenly after that.

Nev-R-Adjust are electric only.

If one drum is significantly hotter than the other, it could be due to lining contamination like if your grease seal leaked.

I adjust drum brakes so there is just the hint of a drag while spinning the wheel.

Last edited:

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If they are getting too hot they will have that burning clutch smell.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On my tandem axle with drums on one axle, the hub temps I measure after towing are typically 90s on non-brake and 120s with brakes. The temps are even from side-to-side with only a few degrees difference.

UncleWillie

Captain
Drum brakes need to be rotated forward while adjusting. I don't see anything wrong with those temps. Now if your getting into the 200+ then i would be concerned. Adjust them to the point that they only rotate 1-1 1/2 turns by themselves

I agree!
Anything below 130 means you can place your hand on it at least for a short time.

Anecdotal information....
When descending pike peak, you are supposed to shift into low gear and let the engine slow you down instead of riding the brakes for miles on end. About half way down there is a checkpoint where they measured your wheel temperature with an IR Thermometer Gun.
If your wheels are above 300 they make you pull over for 10 minutes to cool down.
We had used the brakes a few time out of necessity and our wheels were right around 200; so we were cleared to continue.

Your temperatures are well below anything to get concerned about.
Now that you have a few miles on them; Jack it up and make sure you can spin the tires by hand.
They will loosen as they wear and run cooler and even in time.

Last edited:

Villain lll

Cadet
I just replaced both wheel cylinders, bearings, races, seals, hub drums and bled the brake system. On one side the drum is significantly hotter than the other. I think the shoes are a little tight on the one side but am looking for guidance. Hubs are warm but not hot to the touch and a little warmer on the side with the hotter drum. Should there be drag when adjusting the shoes or no drag? I am about wits end on these brakes but still wonder how hot is too hot on the drum itself, not the hub. My ir gun measured about 120 on one side and 155 on the other. Hubs were about 100 and 130 respectively. Next time it'll be a disc conversion.
I agree with half fish, 95ish with freewheeling hubs, 105ish with drum brake hubs. If hotter, you are getting too much drum rub. I'd lift both tires, spin, and readjust so they just barely freewheel without drag. To be extra safe, drive around a bit and re-check. Always carry an IR gun and check frequently.