problems installing new bearing races

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As was mentioned before.....you want to leave the bearing races in the freezer overnight. The cold is enough to make the metal contract just enough to make sliding them in easy as cake. Remember you've got to use firm hits with a hammer, you can't baby tap it in. Might even try using a mini sledge. I almost always use a 4 LB mini sledge for driving bearings.

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i use a small block of wood and a large hammer to get it started only, than i have several brass rods, slowely tap around the race it will go in dont hurry, never use a steel punch

dazk14

Ensign
I'm not sure if I am understanding you, but it sounds like you are running into the garden variety of race that always wants to **** slightly until you get it fully started - and even somewhat as is goes in.

When it cocks slightly, you need to be hitting the side that is NOT beginning to seat. A 2x4 over the side that is not entering the bore is needed. Hitting the tool on center only makes it worse.

You don't want the easy side to go into the bore much, before you attack the less cooperative side with full force. once started, it can still **** a bit and tapping sides - with protection between hammer and the metal race is needed.

If you have a grinder, you can remove some material from the outer circumference of the old race(so it doesn't get stuck) and use it as the driving tool which can be hit directly with a hammer and wood for a more driving.

Again, all of this may be covered.

Good luck!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
~This race tool is a "pound in type but is a $60 unit from the auto parts store. Would like to see how the hydraulic bottle jack and 2 x 4's was put together and works. Shouldn't need something with tons of pressure I wouldn't think.

i rented mine for free from the auto parts store.

Also when you do get these on, after a few miles, jack up and make sure your nut is tight. All of mine took some more torque and could move 1-3 holes tighter.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I always use the old race with the flat against the new one. Tap around the circle until the new race is fairly deep and square, then firmer taps until seated. The sound tells you when it's fully seated. Old school shadetree still works.

That is what I do, but I cut the old race thru once with a hack saw so that it pops out when the new race is fully seated.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That is what I do, but I cut the old race thru once with a hack saw so that it pops out when the new race is fully seated.

You must have some kinda hacksaw blade. I have never seen anything that would cut through a bearing other than an abrasive wheel.

fishrdan

Admiral
Putting the races into the freezer before you install helps.

And.... bake the hub in the oven at 225-250.... (Do this while the wife is out of the house as she will shin you alive if the hub stinks up the stove and house.)

The race will literally fall into the hub. You have to be quick and shove the frozen race into the hot hub, but once the 2 parts come to the same temp they will be locked together.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No need for cutting the old race. It won't go in far enough to stick in the recess. I've done dozens over the years and worst case is a weak tap if the old one sticks a little. Most times it falls out by itself.

Lil' Bone

Cadet
No need for cutting the old race. It won't go in far enough to stick in the recess. I've done dozens over the years and worst case is a weak tap if the old one sticks a little. Most times it falls out by itself.

I also cut the old bearing before using it to install the new one. Cept I use the Victor wrench to cut the bearing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The OP hasn't come back since the 16th, so I guess he's tugging the trailer. :noidea: