will adding bunks center the boat better?

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 wellcraft eclipse 216. the owner before me bought a newer shorelandr trailer for it, I have checked the shorelandr website and it is the right trailer for the boat. however I have noticed that my boat is always harder to get centered on the trailer the other people's. the only difference I have noticed is that it seems most other boats that are my size seem to have a second set of bunks tward the rear. my trailer only has 2 bunks, one for each side that run the entire length of the boat. my question is would adding a second set of bunks say maybe about 3'-4' long at the back help the center the boat on the trailer when im the boat out of the water?

Thanks

Dave

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
First I think you may be backing the trailer in to deep.......every boat is different but try and back in and stop with about one foot of the forward bunks out of the water....You could also benefit from a pair of vertical guide posts at the rear.

Maclin

Admiral
Many times a centering problem is due to the trailer being too deep in the water when retrieving. Also the center frame rollers are supposed to help with this on a deep vee hull. Extra bunks would probably not help too much in centering but that also depends on what the underside of the hull looks like, if the bunks are lining up to the side of a strake or something, that could help.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
I also thought that the depth of the trailer in the water makes the difference until I got my last boat. At the ramps I use (2) there's no way to get it on right the first time. I have to get it somehow into the center and winch it up for at least 4-6ft while someone corrects the orientation of the stern. I had other boaters try it too and they all gave up. Added these 5ft long side bunks and now the boat is up on the trailer to the stop and centered every time on the first try. So yes, they help a lot even with some considering them as "training wheels"...... Never had that issue with my last boat on the same ramps.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yes they will, put in the correct spot, plus what the others have said.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Some boats are just not meant to go on the trailer centered. I know, I have the same problem with my 21 foot cuddy. I have tried trailer depth in the water and almost infinite roller position changes. I have added side rollers and added extra rollers. The side rollers do almost nothing--the hull wants to list and ends up cocked on the trailer. The only thing that does help some (but does not solve the problem) is to be certain that the rear keel roller is slightly above the water level.

I know it is not the trailer design because I previously had a 19 footer on it. No matter what I did, the boat ALWAYS went on straight. Made me look good LOL

So, currently I leave the rear roller exposed above water and while cranking in, work the cable to guide the bow relatively straight. With a little work, I can get the hull onto the trailer acceptably centered and straight-- but she never is perfect. I suspect that part of the problem is a triangular flat lifting pad at the stern of the hull.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
having had 2 shoreland'r trailers myself, and another 3 in the family. you are in too deep.

if you want to go in that deep, you need to add side guides, either the rub pad type, or the post type.

Thalasso

Commander
Or put target bunks on.
More likely then not your to deep with the trailer

airshot

Rear Admiral
If a boat does not go on a trailer then one of two things are at fault. Wrong trailer or trailer is not set up properly for the boat. Sooooo... replace the trailer or make the necessary corrections so the boat can go on correctly. Sometimes you need to study very carefully how the boat goes on and where the problem begins.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If a boat does not go on a trailer then one of two things are at fault. Wrong trailer or trailer is not set up properly for the boat. Sooooo... replace the trailer or make the necessary corrections so the boat can go on correctly. Sometimes you need to study very carefully how the boat goes on and where the problem begins.

yes. Go on a weekday when you can spend a bunch of time there.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Like other have said having more of the trailer out of the water wil help. I have owned many boats and currently hhave a custom trailer for my 20ft bow rider made locally to me (Owens and sons) and they use center bunks and guide on sand it's the best loading trailer I have ever had. Put it in deep, shallow doesn't matter , get it close and it loads centered. So IMO if forward center bunks are setup cool rectify they are giant help.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have tried backing in deep and shallow and there is no change. my brother in-law has a liberator and on his trailer there are 2 bunks that go the entire length of the trailer and there are 2 about 3-4 feet long at the back and also his bunks are fixed in place. my bunks will pivot to adjust the the angle of the hull. if I made the fixed in place would that help??

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i am no expert on trailer. Here is mine, and i plunge deep on a steep ramp (probably 40 degrees) for less cranking. Mine centers every time.

IMG_20130428_084733_957_zps6dd501c0.jpg

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i have tried backing in deep and shallow and there is no change. my brother in-law has a liberator and on his trailer there are 2 bunks that go the entire length of the trailer and there are 2 about 3-4 feet long at the back and also his bunks are fixed in place. my bunks will pivot to adjust the the angle of the hull. if I made the fixed in place would that help??
Does this mean your bunks are able to flop around when the boat is off the trailer? Once the angle of the hull is achieved by the bunks, they should be tightened down. I don't think the small bunks will make or break the centering... but my trailer has the long center bunks and the short ones just at the rear. It loads straight every time. Even if we come it crooked or a little too hot. It makes it look easy at the ramp.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had to add 2 front bunks to mine to make sure my front center roller is in the center. I am sure my trailer was not made for my boat, plus my trailer is not a ride on trailer it is a crank on. not my choice. When I was first using this trailer it would not line up in a little wind. Now I am good til about 10 mph. Which normally I want to be off the water by then.