Dumb trailer wheels

63cruiser

Seaman
I just bought a brand spanking new to me ezloader trailer for my 23 lone star. Problem is, it has 6 lug 16.5 wheels with a center bore of 3.65 inches and tires are missing huge patches of tread. I want to put 15 or 16 inch wheels on because when a tire blows on a weekend I would like to be able to find tires at any store I point at. I have been looking for wheels and selection is very limited. Does anyone know if any wheels from a vehicle will safely fit. i would prefer aluminum. If there are non will these work? http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/15x6-6-lug-black-conventional-steel-trailer-wheel Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Ford 3/4 ton wheels from pre-2000 oughta fit,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You would really want zero offset wheels for a trailer like the one you linked to. Not sure wheels off a truck will be zero offset.

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
You would really want zero offset wheels for a trailer like the one you linked to. Not sure wheels off a truck will be zero offset.

+1, almost all vehicle wheels/rims have an offset which would load your wheel bearings and spindles wrong. The other problem may be the load rating with the smaller size tries too. Trailer manufacturers tend to use the smallest tires which just meet the load requirements. If they installed 16.5" rims you most likely need the higher load ratings 16.5" tires (and rims) provide.

Last edited:

63cruiser

Seaman
The boat that originally was on the trailer weighs twice as much as mine. I will look at the offset tonight on the original wheels.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
The boat that originally was on the trailer weighs twice as much as mine. I will look at the offset tonight on the original wheels.

That makes a real difference! $150 for a 15" 6-lug allow rim with radial tire (they have other styles and 16" too):
http://shop.wheelsexpressonline.com/...L311G-225R.htm
13959511248461532069155.jpeg

All normal trailer rims have 0 offset.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Well everyone is pretty much missing AGAIN the fact that there isn't and shouldn't be a zero offset wheel. The other fact is no one has asked for the weight of the boat and trailer. Until we know this it's hard to say whether or not or not the OP can go to a 15" or 16" wheel. All conventional13X5,13X5.5,14X6,15X6, 15X7, 16X7wheels are slightly positive offset by 1/8-5/16" to create stability and load to the larger inner bearing. There is NO such thing as a zero offset wheel because of the different diameters of inner and outer bearings. Please remember that this is a straight fixed spindle compressive bearing configuration with no steering capability, torque thrust etc. It is simply load bearing. Offset distributes load across the entire bearing spindle. Negative offset wheels are still used in straight roller bearing configurations, but dont' typically occur in rim widths over 7. I would caution fitting later model 6 lug wheels with a positive offset exceeding 5/8" as these are typically to distribute load into CV or straight bearing configurations, plus probable brake/frame/fender clearance issues.
So, the question really is: what does it weigh? A typical steel wheel in 15X6 or 15X7 will usually be stamped on the inside @ 1500-1750lbs. A 16" wheel will typically be between 2800-3500lbs. A 16.5 wheel which is virtually unheard of anymore is in the same range. Clearly the OP's trailer was designed to utilize the large diameter wheel for a reason. Was it built for his boat? We don't know that. But in all likely hood, he should have little trouble finding a "standard offset (IE; slightly positive) wheel in his load requirements.
Craig Hanson
VP Wheeltec
1985-90

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Was it built for his boat? We don't know that. But in all likely hood, he should have little trouble finding a "standard offset (IE; slightly positive) wheel in his load requirements.
Craig Hanson
VP Wheeltec
1985-90
We DO know as he said that the original boat on this trailer was almost twice the weight.......

That's why I made the comment that his statement makes for a big change after I FIRST warned him about the load rating. He naturally has to take the load rating into account but if he doesn't need the original capacity of the trailer he can go smaller.

The 1/8" offset rims are officially called zero offset rims in all advertising found from dealers.

Last edited:

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure you're describing your bolt pattern correctly. As I recall, e-trailer.com has a bolt measurement online tool to help you determine your actual bolt pattern. Once you determine the actual bolt pattern then you can shop to your heart's content. I wouldn't worry about offset unless space at the fenders is a problem. If you can find the right size and load range tire in an LT tire, for example, that would be a better choice than any ST tire, almost all of which are made in China and are crap. 16-1/2 wheels for a boat trailer are sort of odd, IMHO. I had 16-1/2 wheels on an older Ford RV.

63cruiser

Seaman
The boat is a 63, lonestar cabin cruiser, 23 ft. It is not very heavy, less than 2000 lbs. The rating of the trailer is 3700 lbs, I think. The original trailer had the 5.30 x12 tires on a tandem.
I looked on etrailer and I only see one bolt pattern for 6 lug wheels. I see the 15" inch wheels have 2800 lbs capacity. Will they work. The trailer also has some type of brake that actuates on the hitch.

63cruiser

Seaman
I bought some 15" trailer wheels last nihht from craigs. Hope they fit i will post a picture if they do.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Hope you made sure that the load rating is sufficient..... Otherwise it was a bad deal to start with. Just because they roll doesn't mean they are correct.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For what it's worth--

16.5" tires aren't quite dead yet-- that's what's holding up my Chaparral...

tire2.jpg

Tire size and load range:

tire1.jpg

And I'll almost bet his tires are probably Goodyear Workhorse's like mine-- this damage was caused by the Bullfrog launch ramp at Lake Powell in 108° weather...

tire3.jpg

===========================

There really isn't a lot of options OTHER than the Workhorse tires in a 16.5", and they ain't cheap either. I'm sure any 15" wheel that will fit and some D range tires will work just fine...

63cruiser

Seaman
So they bolted up perfect. The goodyear marathon's are rated for 2500 lbs each. No way it weights 5000 lbs.

Thalasso

Commander
I bought some 15" trailer wheels last nihht from craigs. Hope they fit i will post a picture if they do.

Will they be rated for your load? I see there rated for 2600lbs. 23 ft boat + trailer weight + any fuel/water and equipment.?