Surge Brakes to Electric Brakes

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 1997 Twin Axle Eagle Trailer for my 22ft Powerquest. The surge brakes have never worked since I bought the boat in 2002 (I know right?). I've decided to finally just get rid of the hydraulic and convert to electric. Redoing the surge brakes seems like too much work, I'd rather spend the money and upgrade to electric since my tow vehicle (2014 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD) already has the harness for it.

My question is, could anyone guess at what size my axles are? My trailer is 2hrs away, and I'd like to get the parts ordered so I can bring them there with me and save time. I have no idea if they are 3500lb axles, or 6000lb axes. My guess, is that they are 3500lb axes. I need this information because it tells me what size of electric brakes to order.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

oldjeep

Admiral
Typically a twin axle for a trailer that size would be 3500lb axles. Are they 5 lug or 6 lug?

As for your tow vehicle - I assume you know that you also need a brake controller unless you have one that was actually a Factory option on the truck.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks old jeep. I'm not sure on the lug pattern, I will ask my neighbor to verify for me. I'm thinking they are 5 lug, so that typically is on 4 1/2" centers right? Yes, I am aware I need to purchase the brake controller also, which is around $135 (w/ the harness included).

I must say, I'm torn between redoing with Surge (then going to disc brakes?), or use electric. I've read mixed reviews. I never trailer to salt water (live in MI), nor do I even use it that much. My launch is literally 3 houses away from our cottage so its convenient, and I'm not trailering it that much. I do make the occasional journey to Lake Michigan or up north lakes, but not even more than 2 times a season.

What would be your recommendation on surge vs electric?

oldjeep

Admiral
I guess if it were me I would evaluate why the existing brakes don't work and then decide what to do. If the lines are in decent shape I'd try flushing the fluid through the system and see if that takes care of it before spending any money, but I've got a pressure bleeder so that would play into the decision.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I would think 3500's

what you really need to know is diameter x width of the drums and if the drums have a smooth outer inside face to work with electrics actuator magnets....

I converted my 30' trailer to electric and it was the best thing ever... I LOVE my new electric brakes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Before you bite the bullet and switch, you likely don't have to do much to get your surge brake working if its only been in fresh water. Probably some new wheel cylinders and a master cylinder.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks old jeep. I'm not sure on the lug pattern, I will ask my neighbor to verify for me. I'm thinking they are 5 lug, so that typically is on 4 1/2" centers right? Yes, I am aware I need to purchase the brake controller also, which is around $135 (w/ the harness included).

I must say, I'm torn between redoing with Surge (then going to disc brakes?), or use electric. I've read mixed reviews. I never trailer to salt water (live in MI), nor do I even use it that much. My launch is literally 3 houses away from our cottage so its convenient, and I'm not trailering it that much. I do make the occasional journey to Lake Michigan or up north lakes, but not even more than 2 times a season.

What would be your recommendation on surge vs electric?

Howdy,

I just did this last Spring on my tandem axle trailer. I now pull it with a 2005 F350 that has the FORD IBC (Integrated Brake Controller)

I installed 4 Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes and hubs (3500lb models)

Just took my first trip from the Seattle area down to Lake Shasta in Northern Ca and they worked flawlessly!

I would never go back to Surge Brakes.

The only thing I would do different is that if I had a larger trailer and/or a heavier boat, I would probably go to Electric/Hydraulic disc brakes. (either Tiedown Engr or Kodiac)

Also, with drum brakes don't make a LONG trip down a hill, get the brakes REALLY hot, and THEN immediately back the trailer into the water. That will really screw up the brakes if they're very hot when they hit the water but that's true with any type of drum brakes electric or otherwise, and I probably wouldn't do it with disc either. Another thing, don't put electric drums in salt.

Regards,

Rick