Trailer Rubber Roller Removal

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Uhhhh yeah... so there is this pin that holds the bar in place on the trailer rear roller..

I have no idea how to get this thing out.. I have tried to pinch it with needle nose pliers, pound it out with a punch, sprayed it with silicone...

I am at a loss...

Anyone know how to get these out?
0513141449.jpg
0513141448a.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trailer Rubber Roller Removal

That's a roll pin. Put a piece of steel against the pin and hit it with a BFH. When the pin is even with the shaft use the punch to drive it through the shaft

airshot

Rear Admiral

YEP.... they are designed to compress slightly as they are driven into the hole, add a little rust and they can become quite a job to get them out. But as stated above get a BFH, might try spraying some penetrating oil on them first but they do drive out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Even if you managed to get them off, they are rusted beyond use inside the roller. I just cut them off with a hack saw and replace

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

You need a set of roll pin drivers.... They are straight punches with blunt ends that are sized for the pins... You can get a set for cheap and they make short work of removing those pins.

Maclin

Admiral

I would grind them off flush to the axle shaft. You only need to get one end of the axle shaft clear to remove the shaft, then just replace all with new axle shaft and roller.

tpenfield

Staff member

If I were me, I would cut the pins flush with the axle on both side and slide the axle out. You can then drill the remains of the pin out of the axle so that you can reuse it. Maybe an SS cotter pin this time :)

The BFH will tend to make the pins larger in diameter and harder to take out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

its a roll pin. use a drift and a good heavy ball pean. never had to cut or drill one out yet. also never had to swing the hammer more than a few times. you have to hit it like you mean to kill it.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Pound them out. if they don't move, use a bigger hammer.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Yes that also. Can't use a center punch. Right tool for the right JOB.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up just cutting my old axle shafts off since the pins were FUBAR and just replaced them with new shafts.
Sawzall made short work of it.