DIY Trailer Tongue Extension

RustGuy

Cadet
Thought i would share my latest project. I have a modest 15' aluminum boat. My boat trailer is very short (only 12" longer than the boat) and made backing up and launching with my E-350 van on narrow or shallow ramps a real issue plus the rear wheels were in the water every time. I wanted something I could easily change the tow/launch length to suit the need. Commercial extensions (Extenda-Hitch) required swapping the ball at the receiver from the tow to a different coupler before launching which was a hassle IMO. I wanted a sliding tongue that inserted into the 3" old central tube and used a common tongue for all purposes. I cut off 12" of the front end of the coupler and re-welded that to a 2.5" sq. x 10'-6" (3/16" wall). After I finished I ended up with a selectable 12" or 4'-0" towing/launch extension and a 7'-9" launch only extension. The new tongue is always held in by two 5/8" hitch pins with a min. of 32" support by the old tube and reinforced at the front end of the old tube. Get to the launch, pull the pins, roll the trailer back, insert pins into registered holes, and that's it. This was a very fun project even at my advanced age and I kept it all under $100 doing it all myself. Next is making spring loaded centering pins for registering the tube as it extends and a better support for the wiring. I have towed and launched twice now and it's pretty simple and I stay dry.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6

RonS-Oahu

Recruit
Keeping solutions to the most basic form is best. A trailer extension on Oahu is only used at the boat launch to keep the vehicle out of the salt water. Some are extremely complicated and covered with grease that absorbs the salt and makes things rust. Thanks for letting me use/modify your solution.

Last edited: