bearings question

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
This week noticed one of the tires tilting out a bit more than I thought it should on a forward pulling turn so I jacked up the trailer and there was play in the wheel. Turned the nut one hole tighter and no play. All the other tires had one to three holes avail to tighten.

I thought I had pressed them all the way in then I replaced. Is this normal? will they completely set after a few miles (I've put on about 300 since replacing)

rj

I'm betting you never torqued the nuts down before you backed them off. I like 60-80lbs (just a little more than a nice solid feel) then back off.... more and you can damage the bearings/races, less and the bearings/hubs never seem to set all the way in. The result of not torqueing them down is what you/I have found.

Props for going over them after you put some miles on them. No need to torque them now, they found where they are happy.

I'm another for hand packing bearings, nothing like getting your hands dirty now and then.

Tandem trailers have a mind of their own..... more than once I've come home and pulled out the creeper and gone under the trailer for a good look around.
Always no problems. but boy did they look strange at times.

Sounds like your all set. :bounce:
huts

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok cool yeah I only torqued until the wheel stopped which (no measurement) was probably only 10-20 lbs or so then backed off..

rj

Last edited:

Villain lll

Cadet
Re: bearings question Hard to tell if the tires are angled because of scrubbing or the wheels themselves are angled. Jack both up and then set down and see if they are still angled. From the tire tracks in your driveway, I suspect scrubbing.
When I have to park my trailer loaded and pull into a tight spot without straightening, I jack up each axle to unload the "twist" on each tire. That's what you appear to have as those axles will flex a bit but the tires take the brunt of it. One point of caution not mentioned...don't over pack Bearing Buddy's with grease. It's easy to blow out the rear seal if you pump it up too much. I always leave some wiggle room when filling. Also, when changing bearings, you should also replace the race. Mfg's match races and bearings to ensure the complete surface of the bearing to race is used properly. One more note. Don't clean bearing with solvent then "spin" them dry with air pressure. It's easy to damage the bearings, not to mention, very unsafe as they can blow up in your hands. I now carry an IR temperature reader and regularly check all wheel temperatures at the hub when stopping to ensure all is well. My front hubs with drum brakes run about 105-110* and my rear, freewheeling hubs run about 95*, keeping in mind I just stopped and the brakes heated up the fronts a bit.