bearings question

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
some of you may have read my thread about losing a wheel on the trailer. Well go that one fixed with much help form old retired Charlie. Buggered up threads, cotter pin hold welded shut form the heat, races a PIA to get out probably from the heat as well, etc.

Get the boat home and replace all the others, seals and both bearings.

Can't really see all the different colors but the folks I have paid (twice) to do this apparently just put some lube in and called it good. Four different colors which includes the old, nasty, bad grease.

Old races - is it normal to have the 'impression' of the bearing on these? Couldn't feel any pitting but visually they are there.

If I decide to replace/repack each year, is it required to change the race each time?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: bearings question

next question - when backing into the drive, the tires are not 'even' and have an angle. Is this normal on a tandem? Not great pics of it but I think you'll be able to tell.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I should say when backing in general not just int he drive but it is a tight cut in so I see it there more.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your going to replace the bearing every year just for piece of mind do the races too. The races pictured need to be replaced. Some greases are not compatible and should not be mixed.

The Rooster

Ensign

As far as the trailer Joe, my tandem wheels are not "even" while backing and turning sharply into the drive. I see it all the time as well, but once I'm straight, they all line up perfect. No lean or off-set. Something doesn't look quite right in that second trailer pic if it's straight.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

redneck joe, if you are replacing all the bearings in every hub location, I'd replace all the races also. That way you know positively they will work together perfectly. I'd also hand pack the bearings and install and fill the hub(s) as full as you can AND install bearing buddies in all locations. Then pump them full of more grease until the piston in the center just starts to move out. And with proper maintenance, should last a very very long time too. However, never towing any tandem axle trailer myself, I can only speculate about them. IF your axles are not parallel to each other, I could easily see a lot of tire wear... I'd certainly check from the center hitch at the front of the trailer to each side of the first axle at their attachment points at the frame and made sure they are running true to the centerline of the trailer. Then I'd measure from that axle to the second axle to make sure it was parallel to the first. If any of them are out, I'd do something to fix it. Because neither axle can turn (steer), they will drag the tires to run, and the least amount of drag will yield an easier to roll trailer and the least amount of tire wear too. That also reduces the forces on the bearings and races as well... So not knowing any better, that would be my take on tandem trailer alignment. Others, who actual know, can correct my assumptions if it is wrong... Certainly won't hurt my feelings either. :watermelon:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I did replace the races this time, it was an in the future questions.

Rooster - the way I back into the spot in the drive I am turning it into its final position so there was torque up to the final stop if that makes sense. If I back (and pull forward) straight it is not a problem.

The Rooster

Ensign

I did replace the races this time, it was an in the future questions.

Rooster - the way I back into the spot in the drive I am turning it into its final position so there was torque up to the final stop if that makes sense. If I back (and pull forward) straight it is not a problem.

I understand. If your axles are even the slightest bit out of alignment, your tires will show it. Your tires look great though from what I can see. Good luck !!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

"Scrubbing" on a tandem is expected and normal.

Change races with bearings

Always use same composition of grease . Colors vary by manufacturer.

"Shadowing" is normal when bearings are used infrequently.

Changing bearings very year is excessive. It's costly and time consuming to say the least. With proper maintenance, there is absently no reason you can't get 4-5 years out of a set of bearings.

My rear hubs, have not been off in 5 years. ( spindle lube) Bearings are going on year 7.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hard to tell if the tires are angled because of scrubbing or the wheels themselves are angled. Jack both up and then set down and see if they are still angled.

From the tire tracks in your driveway, I suspect scrubbing.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You do not need to replace your bearings every year! Just remove them and repack them. If theres no discoloration when you clean them up and no pits in the races then they are good to go.I don't plan on replacing mine ever with regular maintenance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've seen many different types of bearing packers, but I can't bring myself to buy one. I am so use to hand packing bearing that I am not sure about any other method. A good size dollop of grease in the palm of your hand and force that grease through the bearing until it comes out the other side is my method. And it works for nothing. But that IS just me... And I've yet, in all my years of hand packing bearings, have had even one bearing issue ever. But I am certainly not discounting other folk's methods either.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have always hand packed too and also used the cone packers which really don't work well so I end up hand packing even after using one This one is really good and it reduces the time and mess.

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great idea,I will def freeze my races next time.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

"Scrubbing" on a tandem is expected and normal.

Change races with bearings

Always use same composition of grease . Colors vary by manufacturer.

"Shadowing" is normal when bearings are used infrequently.

Changing bearings very year is excessive. It's costly and time consuming to say the least. With proper maintenance, there is absently no reason you can't get 4-5 years out of a set of bearings.

My rear hubs, have not been off in 5 years. ( spindle lube) Bearings are going on year 7.

Scrubbing. Now I have a name for it - feels like I've got some disease and at least now I know...

Thinking about it I've never kept a trailer boat much longer than three years so not had long term experience. It does still irritate me that they weren't done when I paid for them to be done.

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As mentioned before it is expected that the wheels and axles will move a bit when they scrub on a tandem axle.
It is quite surprising how much flex you can get with a fully loaded trailer. With my 7,000 lbs tandem axle trailer fully loaded it looks like the wheels have a mind of their own in a tight turn. But it is made for it and it all straightens out.
I recommend that you move the trailer back and forth a bit when you park it to take the pressure of the wheels. That way they don't "set" in the flex.

+1 one hand packing the bearings. As long as there are no pits or excessive play they will last a very long time.

If you paid someone to actually re-pack the bearings I would bring the picture to them and request your money back. They obviously did not do what they were paid to do.
When I do a re-pack I will usually clean the bearings in a mild solvent to get all the old gunk out and then hand pack with fresh grease.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Last year when I bought my new-to-me trailer and boat the previous owner assured me that he had just had the wheel bearings "serviced". I was facing a one hundred twenty mile drive with tail lights that I wasn't sure would continue to function properly until I got it home and I wanted to be home before dark so off I went without pressing him on just exactly he meant by the term "serviced". I stopped several times to check the hubs for overheating (there was none) and made it home just fine. I rewired the trailer lights and based on that one trip, decided to delay repacking the bearings. I made at least three, one hundred and sixty mile, round trips to my favorite lake at interstate speeds before medical issues cancelled my fishing trips for the year.

This March I decided I better have the bearings checked so I hired my neighbor, an ex-mechanic, to take care of it. When he pulled the first bearing all looked well and I was just getting ready to head to the parts store for new seals when he got the second one out and stopped me. At some point the bearing on the left side had sat with enough water in it to rust (or should I say etch?) images of three of the rollers into the surface of the race. They were deep enough that you could feel them with your fingers! Yet when we first jacked up and spun the wheel prior to him repacking it there was absolutely no indication that anything was wrong. I shudder to think what would have eventually happened had I kept on using the trailer the way it was.

I know I did a dumb thing by not having the bearings packed properly when I first got it home and that's a trick I never intend to repeat.

The point in me recounting all this is that the grease that came out of my hubs looked amazingly like the pictures above (it came with Bearing Buddies) so I can only assume that servicing the bearings meant pumping more of whatever grease happened to be available into the hubs from time to time.

Makes me wonder how many other trailers are running down the road with similar situations.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This week noticed one of the tires tilting out a bit more than I thought it should on a forward pulling turn so I jacked up the trailer and there was play in the wheel. Turned the nut one hole tighter and no play. All the other tires had one to three holes avail to tighten.

I thought I had pressed them all the way in then I replaced. Is this normal? will they completely set after a few miles (I've put on about 300 since replacing)

rj