Trailer Rebuild

bull12001

Cadet
The trailer that came with my boat many moons ago rusted through and hence I have this one under it now. It was a trailer to do in a pinch when the boat had to be moved. Long and short is, it's time to put some money into it and fix it up and do it right.

I'm not a big fan of the current configuration that it's in. It currently has two bunks aft on the outside and two bunks forward on the inside. I don't feel like it provides enough support for the hull. I also feel like the plastic that covers the current bunks is not the best for the hull. I have purchased 5' carpeted bunk boards but I'm presented with a problem. The 5' boards won't reach from one cross member to the other. The trailer only has 2 cross members and I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing them as well due to rust.

This leaves me in weird spot. Seeing as how I don't know much about trailer bunks and layout, I have a few questions.

1. Would it benefit to move the aft bunks to the inside to better support the weight of the I/O?
2. Would it be better to have the rear bunks extend aft to the end of the boat? It is a fiberglass boat and looking at the pictures from 20 years ago, the original trailer had rollers that didn't go all the way aft either.
3. Which is the better option-purchase longer bunks that will span both cross members or purchase smaller bunks which would duplicate the current setup? I could also do a combination and put longer bunks on the outside with two short bunks on the insides to center the boat.

The only image that I did not include is that I have a double roller for a bow stop that supports the boat from the front. The winch eye sits between them and I think most of the weight is held on the bow stop rollers and the aft bunks.

Any thoughts and input on the best layout for this project would be much appreciated!

(P.s.-I know the wiring is exposed. That's on the part of the to-do list that I haven't gotten to yet. :facepalm:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Rebuild

I recently rebuilt my trailer, but for a lot lighter boat. Here is the title if you want to view the effort. "Bring a trailer back to life".

While I realize that it is not the same size trailer or boat, it could give you some ideas of what you can do to fit your trailer to your boat a little better. The bunks were lengthened on my trailer to give more support to the boat and I also added some side rails to help with loading my boat. I also installed new fenders, wheels, tires, hubs, bearing, races, seals, and wiring with LED lights too. A total take apart and rebuild...

bull12001

Cadet

Those are on my list as well. I'm adding fenders, lights, already redid the wheel seals, and I'm adding a guide pole kit to make it easier to center. Thanks for the link.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I would extend the outside bunks to the next forward cross frame and add a set of brackets. It appears your trailer looks like it was converted from roller style to bunks. This should give you plenty of support and extra stability. Regular bolt on stile brackets should be easy to add with u bolts.

bull12001

Cadet

You are correct. It was converted from a roller. How were you able to tell that?

You would extend the outside bunks to the next forward cross member and put short bunks forward inside?

bull12001

Cadet

No one else has any more opinions or helpful advice from past experiences?

I'm leaning towards taking all 4 bunks from the transom as far forward as they will make contact.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

No one else has any more opinions or helpful advice from past experiences?

I'm leaning towards taking all 4 bunks from the transom as far forward as they will make contact.

I would lengthen the bunks to the next cross section myself. That gives you a lot more hull support on your boat. Adding a few extra brackets to support the length is not very hard to do either. The more support on the boat, the less stress is applied on the hull as well. JMHO!

bull12001

Cadet
So, I know this is an old post, but I'm just now getting back to this project. I had to upgrade the axle and springs to 3500 lbs due to the trailer being underrate for the boat.

Any trailer experts have any advice on if this is the proper placement of the skids to the stringers? I'm going to be running carpeted 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber from the transom all the way forward.