Need new trailer brakes. Saltwater boating.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
My trailer came with drum brakes and they're now complete junk. I'm going to replace the drum brakes with disc brakes but am looking for any advice I can get before I spend my money.

I've done some searching and some people say to go with the Kodiak brand of brakes. I'd like all stainless steel but their 5-lug kit only fits 14" and larger wheels. Kodiak Trailer Slip-on 5 Lug Disc Brake Kit ALL STAINLESS w/Hubs Mine are 13" and fairly new so I'd rather not buy new wheels and tires.

I could buy their Dacromet/Stainless kit for 13" wheels: Kodiak Trailer Integral Disc Brake Kit 5 Lug Dacromet / Stainless

I don't know anything about their Dacromet coating. Does anyone have any information or experience with it? I really would prefer an all stainless steel kit because I just don't want to have to worry so much about the constant battle with saltwater corrosion.

BTW, I know I also need a new surge brake coupler as well.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need new trailer brakes. Saltwater boating.

sounds like you already know what you need to do........since saltwater and corrosion go together like ham and eggs... buying ss seems spot on... I'd try to remember spraying off your breaks and such with the garden hose after each trip back home :)

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need new trailer brakes. Saltwater boating.

I'd like to get all stainless steel but I have 13" wheels and that kit won't fit. It looks like the only kit that will fit my wheels has the Dacromet coated rotors. Does anyone know anything about this Dacromet coating?