Where to get rear grease seal for hub with BB's?

badtomatoes

Cadet
I've been doing some preventive maint on my new used boat and trailer. I pulled the hubs off to clean, inspect, and re grease. Can anyone tell me if the rear seal is unique to bearing buddy's? I don't want to remove the seal only to find that I have to order it from them and wait for it to be delivered.

Thanks in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where to get rear grease seal for hub with BB's?

Nothing special about the seals for BB's. Just don't over pump too much grease in because it will blow past the seal.

badtomatoes

Cadet

Thanks. Looks like Ill yank the seals and get this job done!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just note the number on the seal and get a new one......

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've been doing some preventive maint on my new used boat and trailer. I pulled the hubs off to clean, inspect, and re grease. Can anyone tell me if the rear seal is unique to bearing buddy's? I don't want to remove the seal only to find that I have to order it from them and wait for it to be delivered.

Thanks in advance!

Most any standard rear hub seal will work and can be purchased at most any auto parts store too. However, they do also make a slightly larger seal so that it fits tighter around the spindle shaft if yours is a little worn. But a good cleaning and a gentle hand on the grease gun and it should work out nicely. Repack the inter and outer bearings first in the usual way, then assembly everything including the bearing buddies and start pumping the grease in via the grease gun. When you see the piston just start to move outward...stop! It is now ready for the road! JMHO!

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I buy them two sets at a time so I have one for next spring,I now only use my BBs as dust caps.If you repack each year no need to add grease ever.

Fed

Commander

If the seal is the type that runs on the spindle rather than a marine seal type then now would be a good time to fit Speedy Seals.

Spending the time once to do it right will save you ever having to do it again.

If you use your BBs as BBs no need to repack ever.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No advantage to running speedi sleaves to running on the original axle unless the original axle is pitted because of water.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Boy, did you whack the bee's nest. I'll will say, that's been my experience........:)

Lil' Bone

Cadet

This is something I have been fighting for a while, I finally found I could get slightly smaller ID lip seals. ( originals were like .72, the new ones are .68 ) it seems to be holding now. Made a trip from Salinas to Shasta Lake and back with no more leaks.
I also don't pump the BB's "full" anymore. I just pump until the BB just starts to move.

Lil' Bone

Cadet

If the seal is the type that runs on the spindle rather than a marine seal type then now would be a good time to fit Speedy Seals.

Spending the time once to do it right will save you ever having to do it again.

What's a speedy seal?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the set up,I find it hard to believe that pumping grease into your BB will get it into the inside bearing where it needs to be if at all.Not saying it wont but its a small job and I prefer to see the grease getting into the inside bering.IMO its so easy theres no reason not to repack them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you look at the set up,I find it hard to believe that pumping grease into your BB will get it into the inside bearing where it needs to be if at all.
You are correct...it won't. The only purpose of the Bearing Buddy is to create a positive pressure inside the hub. Greasing the bearings is only done by packing them initially.

Fed

Commander

No advantage to running speedi sleaves to running on the original axle unless the original axle is pitted because of water.
I disagree Bruce, IMO there's nothing better than running a seal on a perfectly smooth non corrosive stainless steel sleeve.
Down here we go for the stationary seals so the stainless steel insert is a given.

What's a speedy seal?
SKF Speedi-Sleeve

Over time I've come to the belief with BBs that if your seals aren't weeping then your hubs aren't full.
Shock horror? No fully expected but I'm talking about a tiny bead of grease say 1.0mm that can be wiped off from time to time.
Another thing I do is pump the BBs up until just before the spring starts to bind rather than just until the piston starts to move.
Each to their own I guess but I'd take a lot of convincing to change from what I know works.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Taking the bearing BB off and throwing them as far away as possible was the best "upgrade" I've done to my trailer.

Went to spindle lube axles. No more leaking/ blown seals. No more removing hubs to repack bearings. Repacked all four hubs last weekend in less than an 45 minutes.

Bearings and seals going on their fifth season. Hub "caps" starting to rust thou....might have to break down and spend the $10 to replace all four......lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Went to spindle lube axles. No more leaking/ blown seals. No more removing hubs to repack bearings. Repacked all four hubs last weekend in less than an 45 minutes.l
Just bought a pontoon trailer(2006) with spindle lube axles. I had to change all the inner bearings due to water intrusion and a couple of the outer bearings. Never had a problem with my BB trailer on my Wellcraft. Moral of the story, no system is perfect

badtomatoes

Cadet

Dang, did I do that?

Job is done. Axle grease looked like chocolate milk. Glad I did it. Call it piece of mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Just bought a pontoon trailer(2006) with spindle lube axles. I had to change all the inner bearings due to water intrusion and a couple of the outer bearings. Never had a problem with my BB trailer on my Wellcraft. Moral of the story, no system is perfect
note to self.... 8 year service interval is a bit excessive....lol

Last edited: