8' Trailer Tongue Installation Question

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am preparing to have 2 - 1/2' holes drilled into the end of my new trailer tongue to bolt it to the cross member on the frame. I need to know if the end of the tongue (2" x 2"x 96" steel tube) should be against the inside edge of the cross member when the 1/2" bolt is inserted through the top and bottom holes on the end of the tongue?

The old tongue only had a 3/8" or perhaps a little under that of metal tube past end of the hole to the end of the tongue. However, there is actually 5/8" of metal past 1/2" hole on the inside of the cross member.

So I am wondering if it would be better to try and locate the new 1/2" holes in the end of the new tongue so the end of the tongue is against the inside of the cross member (which will be harder to get precisely) or locate the 1/2" holes in the new tongue say 1/32 -1/16th under the 5/8" from the end to insure the 1/2" holes in both tongue and cross member will line up properly as well as still leaving more steel past end of 1/2" hole than on the old tongue.

Either way it would end up having more steel past the end of the 1/2" hole where it bolts into the cross member than it has on the old tongue.

Thanks for your input on this concern! If my description is unclear I can try to take some pictures to provide a better illustration of my concerns in locating the 1/2" holes in the end of the new tongue. FYI there is also a u-bolt that bolts the tongue to the frame near the area the 1/2" bolt goes through the end of the tongue and cross member on the trailer

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 8' Trailer Tongue Installation Question

I am preparing to have 2 - 1/2' holes drilled into the end of my new trailer tongue to bolt it to the cross member on the frame. I need to know if the end of the tongue (2" x 2"x 96" steel tube) should be against the inside edge of the cross member when the 1/2" bolt is inserted through the top and bottom holes on the end of the tongue?

The old tongue only had a 3/8" or perhaps a little under that of metal tube past end of the hole to the end of the tongue. However, there is actually 5/8" of metal past 1/2" hole on the inside of the cross member.

So I am wondering if it would be better to try and locate the new 1/2" holes in the end of the new tongue so the end of the tongue is against the inside of the cross member (which will be harder to get precisely) or locate the 1/2" holes in the new tongue say 1/32 -1/16th under the 5/8" from the end to insure the 1/2" holes in both tongue and cross member will line up properly as well as still leaving more steel past end of 1/2" hole than on the old tongue.

Either way it would end up having more steel past the end of the 1/2" hole where it bolts into the cross member than it has on the old tongue.

Thanks for your input on this concern! If my description is unclear I can try to take some pictures to provide a better illustration of my concerns in locating the 1/2" holes in the end of the new tongue. FYI there is also a u-bolt that bolts the tongue to the frame near the area the 1/2" bolt goes through the end of the tongue and cross member on the trailer

Ayuh,.... It don't really matter, do whatevers Easier,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Would like to help but I seriously can't figure out what you are doing after reading your comment. Could you post some pictures of what you are doing. That way we can see what you see and can make better suggestion to help out...

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd set back as far as possible if it causes a problem when tilting the trailer you can grind or cut off some of the tongue to give the needed clearance.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would like to help but I seriously can't figure out what you are doing after reading your comment. Could you post some pictures of what you are doing. That way we can see what you see and can make better suggestion to help out...[/QUOTE]

Attached are a couple of pictures that may help illustrate the point. It is of course easier to keep the distance from the outside edge of the new 1/2" bolt holes on the new tongue that will bolt to the cross member at a distance slightly less than the 5/8" distance on the current cross member holes. See pictures to illustrate this 5/8" measurement illustration.Inside cross member measurment.JPGhalf iinch bolt hole old tongue.JPG IM002003.JPG

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please post some pictures that are not so close up.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Leave a gap..... Water will drain... Debris such as wasp nests and anything drug in by critters can be flushed out ..... Also air can circulate and help rid moisture faster for less rust

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the tips. I will leave a small gap to allow for more flexibility installation and as mentioned to flush out the tube, insects etc and allow more air circulation for moisture to dry out and slow rusting.

Even 1/8" gap between end of new tongue and inside of crossmember will allow for 1/2" of metal between the one side of the half inch hole and end of the new tongue as opposed to less than 3/8" of metal between the one side/edge of the 1/2 inch hole and the end of the tongue on the old tongue. Which I would assume will give it more strength when towing

Thanks,
Again
Dave

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Remember: The light wires will pass down the inside of the tongue. Either drill a hole in the center of the crossmember for the light wires to go through or leave a gap of about 3/8 inch so the wires can pass out either side of the tongue.