Lever lock stuck in up position coupler jammed

Ahype

Recruit
The lever lock on the trailer was stuck in the down position. Managed to get it unstuck. Now it is stuck in the up position and the coupler tongue is jammed so we can't get the ball to go into the coupler. HELP!! Ready to get the boat on the water!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lever lock stuck in up position coupler jammed

The lever lock on the trailer was stuck in the down position. Managed to get it unstuck. Now it is stuck in the up position and the coupler tongue is jammed so we can't get the ball to go into the coupler. HELP!! Ready to get the boat on the water!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... You've got 2 choices,...

Either take the lock apart, 'n See why it's hangin' up,...
Or,...
Replace the coupler,...

wrench 3

Commander

You need lots of a good quality penetrating oil. Let it soak for a day. Then pry things around with bar. If it doesn't loosen up enough. Start all over again.
Depending on that style hitch you have, you may be able to remove the adjusting nut and disassemble the hitch.

Thalasso

Commander

Time to lay down and look up and see whats going on from underneath.

Ahype

Recruit

Thanks for all the tips. I have tried to look inside, underside, every nook and cranny I can see and can't seem to find anything not in place. It's a brand new coupler only used twice before with no problems. Hopping a good greasing will help otherwise I will try taking it apart.

Thalasso

Commander

What type/brand model # of coupler do you have?

Ahype

Recruit

Atwood coupler, hydraulic surge brake

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If there is no corrosion, use silicon spray in every nook and cranny then work the lever and it may start moving like butter. If there is corrosion, or has been in salt, use a rust penetrating spray and work the lever. I've had to do that process in the past..... Freed up the lever well.