Skeeter trailer bunk

Gary85_

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a broken bunk and could use some advice. My trailer has 2 5' boards on outer and 2 9' boards on the inside. One of the 9 footers is broke and come loose from bracket. These are 2x4's laying flat. I have thought seriously about getting the ultimate bunk boards, but just not sure of how they will hold up and very expensive. The boat and trailer is 7 years old. If I did go back with wood, does anyone think fiberglassing timber before carpeting would increase the life of the bunks? Has anyone ever tried this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skeeter trailer bunk

If you used another 2 x 4 (or even a treated 2 x 4) it would last another 7 years. So I don't see an issue. Not too bad for a simple 2 x 4 replacement cost, I'd skip the fiberglass because for cost, the simple 2 x 4 lasted a pretty good time in my opinion.

Gary85_

Seaman Apprentice

Alright back again... I suppose I am going back with treated wood. Question...Exactly how wide do I need carpet to be for a horizontal laid 2x4 and leave room for drainage? With all 4 bunks, I need approximately 30 feet total, so would like to buy by the foot. I would prefer blue if at all possible, charcoal would be my next choice. I have seen many different brands with many different backings and have no clue what is the best. On a fairly tight budget and any info would be appreciated. Any links to a cheap dealer would also be appreciated.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Alright back again... I suppose I am going back with treated wood. Question...Exactly how wide do I need carpet to be for a horizontal laid 2x4 and leave room for drainage? With all 4 bunks, I need approximately 30 feet total, so would like to buy by the foot. I would prefer blue if at all possible, charcoal would be my next choice. I have seen many different brands with many different backings and have no clue what is the best. On a fairly tight budget and any info would be appreciated. Any links to a cheap dealer would also be appreciated.

I just pulled carpet off my bunks and the stuff covering the 2x4s was 9" wide. That did not completely cover the underside of the bunk; there was a gap of an inch and a half or so. I read somewhere that if you want to completely cover the bunk on all sides, get a 12" wide strip. That sounds about right to me.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

2 X 4's are not truly 2" by 4". They are 1.5" by 3.5", so figure 1.5" plus 1.5" for the two sides, and 3.5" for one wide side (if you are using them that way) and add another couple inches and you have roughly 8" or so. I purchased bunker carpet by the foot and you can get 12", 18", and 24" wide by whatever length you need. I got mine from a guy on Evil Bay that advertises bunker carpet from Dalton Georgia. Very quick shipping and a real nice guy to deal with. And he has many colors and thicknesses too. I used 20oz rubber backed and some 5400 glue from Home Depot. also I stapled the carpet using stainless steel staples as well... Worked very good for me...

Gary85_

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I found some 8" wide online. I didn't think about gluing, but I think I will do this to keep carpet from moving on bunk. Does most hardware stores carry stainless staples? Also looking for air stapler that will speed up the process. Any suggestions on staple sizes? Would harbor freight carry all I need?