Can I replace my tongue on the trailer without lifting the boat?

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I may be getting a replacement tongue since I have always felt mine was suspect (rust). My thought was to put jack stands under the back of the trailer in 2 places, then a jack stand under the keel up front. Has anyone done this and will it work, or will the structural integrity be so compromised when removing the tongue that I have to lift the boat? It's a cheesy Tee Nee trailer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I replace my tongue on the trailer without lifting the boat?

Pics would help to get the right advice, HR.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is possible to do almost anything within reason if you study the situation and use the correct tools. However, in this case to would be so much easier to simply slide the boat off the trailer and work on the tongue without the hull in the way and with no weight on it.

We tend to think of boats as not really dangerous. However, working under a (for example) 3000 pound boat can be as dangerous as working under a car with just the jack holding it up.

The more time consuming method actually works out to less wasted time, especially if you consider waiting time in the emergency room.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I've been working on my trailer and the first part I did with the boat loaded on the trailer. I was jacking the whole thing up and supporting the trailer on floor jacks. I was surprised how much the trailer frame would rack as I jacked up one side, just about 4 feet from the tongue. After seeing that, I am not sure I'd be wanting to do structural work on the trailer with much of a load on it. It would be a drag to put a new tongue on the trailer only to find it was twisted due to the boat's weight.

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Give us some good information and a picture of the trailer. How big and heavy is the boat?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

It has a 50 hp outboard.... Can't be all that huge.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

My motto is, if you are going to do a project, take the needed time and do it right the first time. Obvious you seem to think your trailer tongue is defective (rusted as you stated). Then remove the boat and block the trailer so that as you remove the old tongue and replace it, you can make the necessary measurements to verify it is replaced correctly. Anything less is not the right way to accomplish the task. But I think you honestly know that too! :) JMHO!

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Its a 16' Sylvan deep V with a 50 hp Merc on it. Here is a picture of the boat and trailer pre-restoration. It is a trailer than can tilt although I never use it that way.

My issue with the tongue is that snow and rain got between the front uprights that hold the winch while it sat for 13 years. When I removed that front piece there was some pretty scaly rust on the sides of the square tube. I sanded it and painted it but in the back of my mind always wonder how structurally sound it is.

Sylvanfront.jpg

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take the winch stand off, hit the area in question with hammer and a scratch awl or screwdriver.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

We need closer pics of the areas where the tongue attaches to say for sure but straining to see in the current pic it LOOKS like yes the tongue could be replaces with the boat ON the trailer.

Two jack stands under the front frame rails and the tires securely chocked... Working on a concrete floor or driveway.

If working in the grass then at the very least move the boat back on the trailer several feet so that the transom sits on the ground with the tongue in the air and securely strap it to the trailer in that position.

UncleWillie

Captain

None of the trailer looks "That" Bad!
You are over thinking this.

If the tongue is suspect, the entire trailer frame is also suspect.
The tongue is actually is one of the lowest stressed parts of the trailer.
It is just a long lever arm. I'll bet you can lift the tongue by hand.
I'll also bet that you can come nowhere close to Bending/Breaking that tongue by hand.
The main frame where the axle attaches would be the highest stressed area on the whole assemble.
Expect it to buckle in the middle before the tongue falls off.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have to agree with UncleWillie. After seeing the trailer, I personally don't see a problem either. Unless there is better pictures of the suspect area, I'd remove the boat, sand, prime and paint that trailer and enjoy... I had just finished replacing a trailer tongue BUT my trailer tongue actually had a good size crack where the tongue meets the trailer body. So I replaced it and rebuilt the trailer. If you care to see my trailer rebuild, here is the title, "Bringing a trailer back to life". The trailer I started out with and rebuilt looks very similar to yours...

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I too, agree with UncleWillie. That trailer looks fine. In fact, I have seen MUCH worse condition trailers being used everyday under far greater loads without failure. Unless you can show us with a picture, the actual area you find suspect, with rust perforated steel...I would say just use the darn thing!

bryanzzz

Seaman

OK, to remove boat from trailer, tie transom to a tree or power pole, place a tire or two under transom and slowly pull boat off the trailer, tires catch transom...motor tilted up as far as possible. Use a gas axe (torch) to remove tongue (if it is in fact rotten due to surface oxidation)...measure thickness of rust, thickness of rust is aprox 7 times thickness of metal actually lost. When replacing tongue, take a center punch, mark hitch at center of trailer ball location. Remove tires/rims and measure from hitch center to a point on the hub, get exact distance from hitch to each hub...important to pick a point on each hub when taking measurements. Weld solid...this is the connection between tow rig and your most important reason for living...HA HA but seriously take your time and get it right, or replace tires before they ever dry rot...Hope this helps.