Q for large trailer-boaters; Is anyone using a weight-distributing hitch?

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does using a w-d hitch change the angle significantly at the ramp? ie. Does the trailer tongue rise noticeably when it's unloaded but the trunnion bars are still under tension? I'm curious if I'll need to release the tension on the trunnions before launching and loading. ??

I haven't put my boat on the scales, but based on a few other factors I'm guessing my tongue weight is around 700-800 lbs. I know this is really heavy and I'll find out the exact number soon, but it actually compresses the truck springs* as much as my 5th wheel trailer (900 lb pin weight).

The truck can handle this much weight, but it rides nose high and very rough with the springs compressed this far. I've found an 800 lb weight distributing hitch and will pick it up next week and start using it.

*I've measured the amount of "sink" at the bumper, and using some rudimentary moment-arm calculations (assuming front axle as datum line) I figure it would take about 720 lbs at the hitch to produce the same sink as 900 at the 5th wheel (over the axle).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Q for large trailer-boaters; Is anyone using a weight-distributing hitch?

I would strongly consider air bags....
after the HUGE improvement on my current truck ill never again own a truck without them.

agallant80

Commander

I think I am going to have to polity disagree with anyone who says modify the suspension. Most all manufactures say use a WD hitch for loads over 5,000LBS. They don't say go ahead and add airbags, helper springs and what ever else you think will help.

I just put one on my truck and its night and day different. The thing I notice the most is the truck does not get pushed around when stopping, there is very little sway and going over bumps the truck and trailer feel like one unit instead of the trailer pushing down and pulling up on the suspension and making the whole rig feel unstable.

WD hitches are a rather new thing to boat trailers, most of the older WD hitches would interfere with surge breaks. There are some companies that make WD hitches that work with surge. I got the equal-i-zer and I can't notice any differenct in my trailer if anything because of the added control you have with hitch I would say the truck seams to perform better when stopping.

Can you share with us what your rig is (boat and truck)

As for the ramp I have noticed no issues putting the boat on or off the trailer with the WD hitch connected. I don't know about driving around without the boat on the trailer. I just drive a few hundredth yards to the parking space when the boat is not on the trailer.

There are some things to know about setting up a WD hitch for a boat trailer. Let me know if you are interested and Ill post them when I have time.

Here are some photos of my setup. The only photo I have of the entire rig the hitch is not setup properly but it still, even with unproper setup made the whole rig feel better.

photo (1).jpg
photo (2).jpg

Last edited:

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used one for my travel trailer, when I used to own one, and that was definitely night and day, and now that I own a new cabin cruiser I was looking at doing the same. My thought process of hauling and putting wear and tear on my truck is simple, the less the better. The more tear on my truck, the more it will cost me down the road. That being said, I really do like the Monroe air shocks which I have mounted in the rear of every truck I have owned for 18+ years now. The WDH is great, and makes handling and control so much better, not to mention safer, that it is worth the $250 they cost to buy it. But then the Air Shocks are just another tool, and they can allow you to just tune in the whole package. The Air Bags, I have not ever tried, The last time I looked I think they ran around $300, and when I compared them against the Monroe Air Shocks, I thought it was a no brainier, the shocks run $120, with a lifetime warranty. Now that I have rambled on a bit, I like a combination, use the WDH for what it is, and use the shocks to tune out the ride depending on your load, just know that sometimes you may need to disconnect the WDH bars when getting on and off some ramps depending on the angle of the ramp.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I think it`s going to depend on what the boat weighs and how that compares with your trucks total carrying capacity. I have added airbags to my Silverado and have great success .But if you are tetering at the maximum ability of your truck with your current boat a WDH may be your best way to go.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Another point for bags is that they will also work with the fifth wheel attached.

I'm not saying not to consider the WDH but it sounds as if the truck is rated high enough to not require them (need to verify this)

The tongue weight on my boat trailer is just over 1000 lbs btw

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use a WD hitch with a Silverado 1/2T and the 24' Wellcraft in my signature. Air bags would not transfer the weight back to the front wheels. When i drive without the WD hitch on, my handling is way different. There is NO way I would use air bags to level my rig.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sure but we aren't talking about YOUR rig

IF he truly needs the WDH (which we can't know till he tells us the details of his rig) then I'm all for it but he has also given info (the 5th wheel) that indicates that he could benefit from bags.

One size does not fit all.... No way no how would I have any use for a WDH with a much heavier boat that yours but then I have a much heavier truck.

O/P we need more info.

edit: upon searching it appears that he has a 23' searay cuddy.... Still need to know what truck.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

I use a WD hitch with a Silverado 1/2T and the 24' Wellcraft in my signature. Air bags would not transfer the weight back to the front wheels. When i drive without the WD hitch on, my handling is way different. There is NO way I would use air bags to level my rig.

I agree, once you get the thing working right its priceless.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sure but we aren't talking about YOUR rig

I would strongly consider air bags....
after the HUGE improvement on my current truck ill never again own a truck without them.

Agreed...but we aren't talking about your rig either.

If he has a 1/2T, he could use a WD hitch. Probably wouldn't need it with a 3/4T.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Right... Hence the reason we need to know what he's pulling with.

Thalasso

Commander

Right... Hence the reason we need to know what he's pulling with.

And how far and often does he haul the boat. 23ft SeaRay isn't any load for a 1/2 ton.

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My apologies to everyone for being absent from the thread. Work, Kids, Etc. intervened yesterday and I just got back to the computer.

My truck is a Ram 1500 QuadCab with short bed, 5.7L and 3.92 rear ratio. It's rated to tow slightly over 10K pounds, with a GCWR of 15K. The sticker on the doorsill says I'm limited to 1370 lbs in the bed, IIRC. The boat is a 23ft Sea Ray Cuddy that I haven't put on the scales, but I'd estimate total trailer/boat/gas/etc. to be slightly over 6000 lbs. The tongue weight is pretty high though (700+ lbs), and the previous owner used an F350 to pull it (no need for augmented hitch for him).

I don't think I'm exceeding the capabilities of the truck, even without a W/D hitch, but it sags noticeably with the boat hitched, and I can't really move the boat much on the trailer to shift the CG. In my experience, moving CG aft would cause stability problems anyway, so I'm planning to fix it via a W/D hitch. I'm trying to improve the ride, and bring my headlights down from the sky. :)

I looked at a few yesterday, and the ratings are a little confusing. I'm still not sure whether to get a 600lb or 800lb hitch. I'm guessing with the larger version, I could just not take up as much tension on the trunnions. I'm also planning to trade the 5th wheel for a travel trailer this year, and figure the W/D will be necessary anyway. (FTR, my 5th wheel is a Lite model, suitable for a half-ton).

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, if you have any other recommendations about the hitch size, please let me know.

On edit: Normal pull to local lake is about 5 miles each way. Frequent trips to Texoma and AR exceed 150 miles though.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well in that case a WDH does indeed make sense you are probably only rated for 5k without it.

agallant80

Commander

Pulin,

I went with the larger WD hitch figureing that I could keep it and use it for years on other boats I may upgrade to. I am somewhere in the 9K range but I got the 14K hitch because it was only like $200 more. They do take some setup and you will need a pol tongue adapter. I would recommend downloading the manual to the equal-i-zer hitch and giving it a read so you know what you are getting in to (its not that big of a project).

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I think you would be ok with just new airbags and possible a hitch upgrade if it is only a Class 3.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

My trailer tongue does not rise much at all when the boat is unloaded. The trunnions on mine don't really flex much to lift the tongue so once the pressure is off them, so they can't really lift the truck much. I also suspect that it's substantially harder to lift the tongue and hitch beyond level than it is to lift it to level (I don't think the forces are linear, but not really sure...). If you are really worried about it, get trunnions for a heavier trailer so they won't flex much.

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an update. I got the hitch a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I didn't need to worry about hitch "rise" at the ramp when the trailer was unloaded. It only went up a few inches until the springs were unloaded. The height difference launching and loading was insignificant. The truck rides MUCH better and I think it handles better now that it's level. I got a hitch rated 800-1200 lbs, and it seems to be the correct amount. Since my storage shed is at the top of a hill, hooking up is a breeze since the truck is pointed "down" while the trailer is level (if this makes any sense). There's very little tension on the trunion bars at that angle, so attaching the chains doesn't take a lot of effort.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I'd recommend this for folks with small trucks operating near their GCWR and towing limits. Especially those with high tongue weights.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
WD hitches are wonderful.

As for air bags that were brought up in this conversation, so are they. They're not intended to take the place of a WD hitch, nor are they intended to be used as a license to overload the truck. They're intended to firm up the suspension when the vehicle is loaded. They prevent the suspension from bottoming out, which is not good for the suspension itself or the truck in general, especially when it's loaded. This is why many motorhome manufacturers add them to their chassis. Air bags also help keep the truck level when loaded, which is important for weight transfer and steering.. With the nose up, weight transfer on the front wheels is reduced, which affects braking. Also, steering caster angle is reduced, which decreases the vehicle's ability to track straight.