WD hitch on straight tongue

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,

I have picked up a WD hitch, for use with my boat as I have previously posted. I have not seen any of these set ups using a straight tongue trailer. Any advice?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: WD hitch on straight tongue

Hello All,

I have picked up a WD hitch, for use with my boat as I have previously posted. I have not seen any of these set ups using a straight tongue trailer. Any advice?

If you can't find anything here by searching then check out an RV site.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If it cannot be used due to interference, weld some brackets to the tongue to make it wide enough to spread the trunnion bars out. If you can't fabricate and weld, I bet you know of someone than can. This is not complicated work.

agallant80

Commander

I just went through this. You will need a pole toung adapter. What hitch did you end up getting?

photo (2).jpg

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice

I do not have a trailer breaking system on my current trailer. I am towing an 18.5' bowrider. Im only concerned with a WD hitch for this boat, as my tow vechicle (2004 pathfinder) has coil springs on the rear, which sags so far with arelatively little tongue weight. My current trailer tongue weight is no more than 300#

agallant80

Commander

Well if you don't have trailer breaks and your state does not require them for a trailer/weight combination of that size then you should be legally good and the WD hitch will level things out for you. I think most people would recommend having trailer breaks regardless of what you are pulling. You should take it in to consideration especially if you are towing distance.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That style of WD hitch (with the brackets to tension the torsion bars, instead of chains) should not interfere with surge brakes. That is similar to the Equalizer that is advertised to work with surge brakes.