Chevy Silverado electrical capacity

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
My 2011 Chevy has the seven pin trailer connector. As noted in the manual, the AUX battery power terminal is NOT connected inside the fuse box. Before I spend the money to have it dealer connected, does anyone know what the capacity of this circuit is? I intend to use it for a power winch drawing up to 30 amps. If it does not have the capacity I will power using other means. Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chevy Silverado electrical capacity

What gauge is the wire? Personally I would strongly consider a small battery with the aux supply as a charger

Splat

Lieutenant

I wouldn't pull a winch through a 7 pin connector personally. Those contacts aren't that heavy duty.

I would rather run cables direct from my battery back to the bumper, terminated into a set of 100amp power poles.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

My old Surburban had the wire right next to the Pos red lug with cover and trailer wiring had red heavy brake wire with ring eye connector that would fit that Jumper point .

UncleWillie

Captain

The 12v pin on a 7 pin connector is intended to charge the breakaway battery on the trailer and a work light or two. ~10 amps? You're going to need a 50 amp circuit to power a 30 amp winch. At least 8 AWG cable.
The good news is you only need to run One cable to the battery. The Trucks body is the return path.

What winch do you have?
Winch Wiring Kits are readily available to match.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, guys! Especially Uncle Willie for the details.

So, I won't bother connecting the battery pin. I already have a long enough cable which I ran to the battery on my S10. I opened the hood, connected the alligator clips to the battery terminals and Bob's your uncle! It was trouble-free but I figured if I don't need to open the hood on the new truck, it would be more convenient.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

People always vastly underestimate the size of wire needed to transport DC current any distance. Like unclewillie mentioned, at least 8 gauge, and I'd consider that undersized even.

UncleWillie

Captain

People always vastly underestimate the size of wire needed to transport DC current any distance. Like unclewillie mentioned, at least 8 gauge, and I'd consider that undersized even.

I agree!
I only mentioned it as 8awg because that is what the wiring kits supply.
The kit comes with an 80 amp fuse which is pushing the limits of even 4awg!
I would recommend 6awg as a minimum for a 50 amp circuit.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys! Especially Uncle Willie for the details.

So, I won't bother connecting the battery pin. I already have a long enough cable which I ran to the battery on my S10. I opened the hood, connected the alligator clips to the battery terminals and Bob's your uncle! It was trouble-free but I figured if I don't need to open the hood on the new truck, it would be more convenient.

Here is how I would do it:

1) Connect the battery pin. It isn't hard to do, no need to take it to the dealer. Read the manual, get online help if needed.

2) Use the 12v pin to charge a secondary battery on the trailer.

3) Use the secondary battery to operate the winch. Battery cable gauge for DC systems is highly dependent on the length of the cable. By utilizing the secondary battery on the trailer, you can use 8-gauge cable and still get better power than by running 6-gauge from the front of the truck. Use 6-gauge on the trailer battery if you want full winching power.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Chevy trucks are setup to run cable from the battery to the bumper. It took me twice as long to attach the connector than it took to run the cable.

Run the biggest cable you can afford. I have 6 awg and would install 4 awg if I had it to do over again. The advertised current draw numbers are not "stall" figures. Given the way they rate winches, you'll need every little bit you can get

Last edited:

Fed

Commander

If the power winch is a genuine powerwinch then they come with wiring, circuit breaker (30A) & plug ready to plug straight into the winch.
The cable is pretty small at a guess about AWG 12.