Can I spray cold galvanized spray over zinc folding trailer tongue?

Expidia

Commander
Would I have been better off ordering the raw finish bracket and spraying that one?
I just ordered the Fulton fold away bolt on hinge since my new garage rental is smaller than the last one and the tongue sticks out like 2 feet now.
My trailer is galvanized and i dislike anything with a zinc finish as it always eventually rusts.
I figured if i got zinc and then sprayed the galvanized finish over it Id have that much more protection from rust (im only freshnwater anyway).
I just canceled the zinc order and figured Id ask here first before I re-order maybe the raw finish and spray that one.
Fulton does say their z max 600 hour zinc plating which lasts 6 times longer than typical zinc coatings.
http://www.fultonperformance.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=7000&catID=7060&part=0

order the zinc finish and use as is?
Order the zinc finish and spray with cold galvanized compound?

Order the raw finish and spray with cold galvanized compound?

Thx

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I spray cold galvanized spray over zinc folding trailer tongue?

Do you know what galvanizing is? Its a zinc coating. Cold galvanizing is mediocre at best.

Order the plated one and then cold galvanize it.. That will be your best protection. DON't buy the raw one.

If it were me I'd buy the plated one address it when it rusts. The trailer might get sold before it rusts.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Based on what I've seen in my area, it is pretty common to use cold galvanizing to protect an area of a galvanized trailer where welding or other mods have occurred. Seems to hold up OK, even in salt water. Based on my limited experience, it's important to prep the area as you would prior to painting - clean, etch, apply.

Expidia

Commander

Thx for those replies. They were along the lines of how I was leaning. The cold galvanized spray works great on my trailer for touch up. If I dont touch up scratches they start to rust. I ordered the zinc coated model and when its gets a little warmer I'll spray it first with etching spray and then the cold galv. Spray just so it will match the rest of the trailer.

Lil' Bone

Cadet

nevermind

Last edited:

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased last fall a 22 ft. sea ray that has a 28 ft trailer (bunker) my plans this spring if it warms up before next sept is to paint it (spray cans) rustolum primer than paint it maroon with rustolum

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Galvanizing involves a acid dip to clean the metal. A trip into the furnace to heat the base metal to temp then submerged in a bath of molten zinc.
You can get a "patch" kit where you heat the base metal then spray the contents on the metal that works well.

Cold galvanizing spray is nothing more than paint with zinc dust in it. Flat grey enamel works just as well, if not better for touch up

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander

Galvanizing involves a acid dip to clean the metal. A trip into the furnace to heat the base metal to temp then submerged in a bath of molten zinc.
You can get a "patch" kit where you heat the base metal then spray the contents on the metal that works well.

Cold galvanizing spray is nothing more than paint with zinc dust in it. Flat grey enamel works just as well, if not better for touch up

Thx for that. Ya, the cold galv stuff seems to be just grey paint but it matches my frame great though.

Expidia

Commander

Re: Fulton folding trailer tongue
Done and Done. The Fulton bracket is a really well made unit. Comes with a punch to start a hole and a torque head that you use in a socket. Bolts and nuts need to be torqued to 70 lbs so plan on having a torque wrench to finish the job.
Also plan on buying a decent set of new or sharp drills it makes all the difference and my trailer frame is not even a heavy grade of steel to get through.
There are 4 holes on male piece that attaches to the boat side of trailer. And 4 holes on bottom.
The directions say start with a small drill, then a medium and then the 1/2 inch to finish.
Same for the other sides so you are drilling 48 holes :eek:. Plus two more to attach an extended chain since it needs to be attached now "behind" the new bracket (not on the car side).
Lastly don't plan on using a battery drill. Both my fully charged batteries kicked out after 1/2 way. I took the cut off car side piece down in my basement and used my jaw horse (best tool investment ever) and the plug in drill and the 45 min for the first 24 holes outside the garage on battery took 10 min for the other 24 holes in basement.
Remember to not cut thru your trailer wires when you chop the trailer beam in half with a sawsall (a lot faster than a hacksaw).
Just have to add the extension links to the safety chain and solder the harness connector back on.
Now my smallish new garage rental which is only 213 inches long. Trailer fits in great now!

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

The Base metal parks are sold to the people that have painter trailers and will be painting the hitch to match.
The zinc plating forms a zinc Oxide layer that is very hard to get paint to stick to in the long run.

Galvanized Metal and Cold Galvanizing spray are more sophisticated than just painting.
If you get a Damaged/Scratched area on the surface, the expose Iron/Steel surrounded by the exposed Zinc, forms a single cell battery of ~2 volts.
The battery powers an electroplating process that causes the zinc to plate itself on top of the exposed Iron/Steel.
The overall effect is that the galvanized surface is self healing. It re-galvanizes itself.

The same process is why the drive of your Boat has Zinc anodes on it to prevent corrosion of the Aluminum parts.

Expidia

Commander

Thx good info!