Heavy 20ft boat on a single axle Trailer?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm very interested in buying this 20'8" sportboat with an 8'6" beam and 3,400lb (manufacturer empty of course) weight. It has a 5.7L in it so overall a very heavy deep V sportboat for it's size.

The trailer under it I haven't been able to verify the capacity plate yet, it is about 8yo, single axle galvanized roller with disc brakes, it certainly fits the size in width and length, and the tongue is incredibly long- probably 5+ ft longer. Even if this is rated within the capacity of the boat- is this pushing the limits of a single axle? Being that my 4Runner isnt fullsize, I'm inclined to want to trade it up for a tandem to help with stability/ weight distribution especially in a blowout situation or driving through our infamous NJ Construction zones....

Is this a worth wile consideration even if it is rated for the weight?

briangcc

Commander
Re: Heavy 20ft boat on a single axle Trailer?

Sounds about like my Four Winns as they offered a couple trailer options on mine, one being a single axle with brakes. I went with a tandem and its a much stabler platform in my opinion. So to answer your question, the single axle is probably rated to carry your boat, if its what came with the boat originally.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

3000 is a sort of a standard for single axle trailers with out breaks, but their are some specialty singles that go up into the 5000 range and yes it should have breaks over 3000 lbs.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Part of the equation is what kind of trailering are you going to do.

For a big boat, duals ride better but weigh more; they are harder to manuever and are more expensive to buy and operate (tires).

So if you are just going to make short runs from storage to the ramp, or are keeping the boat in the water or in a dry slip with only occasional trips, the single may be better--and it already comes with it.

You can always upgrade later, and keep an eye out for a deal in the meantime.

But if you know you will have long-haul bumpy rides every time you use the boat, a dual may be worth it to you. It's only money, not like they are going to stop printing it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Ive got a 20ft cuddy with 3.0.. single axle, not quite as heavy as u.. I installed a new 3500lb axle and put breaks on.. no problems

gtochris

Part of the equation is what kind of trailering are you going to do.

For a big boat, duals ride better but weigh more; they are harder to manuever and are more expensive to buy and operate (tires).

So if you are just going to make short runs from storage to the ramp, or are keeping the boat in the water or in a dry slip with only occasional trips, the single may be better--and it already comes with it.

You can always upgrade later, and keep an eye out for a deal in the meantime.

But if you know you will have long-haul bumpy rides every time you use the boat, a dual may be worth it to you. It's only money, not like they are going to stop printing it.

This is my thoughts currently as it will likely be a year before we go anywhere substantial with this next purchase.
If I add up everything involved in making things perfect on an old one I'm 1/2 way to a new one... This trailer did NOT come with this boat factory. In all my searches online, I've yet to see anyone with a single axle under a 20ft Wellcraft Excalibur.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if the trailer has a 2000 or 3500 axle then that boat is absolutely too heavy for that trailer.... if it has a 5200 or 6200 lb axle (VERY uncommon) it will have 6 or 8 lugs per wheel and be fine....

That boat weighs at least 4000 lbs wet and likely more plus the (correct) trailer is another 800... that boat NEEDS to be on a trailer with 2 3500 lb axles

gtochris

if the trailer has a 2000 or 3500 axle then that boat is absolutely too heavy for that trailer.... if it has a 5200 or 6200 lb axle (VERY uncommon) it will have 6 or 8 lugs per wheel and be fine....

That boat weighs at least 4000 lbs wet and likely more plus the (correct) trailer is another 800... that boat NEEDS to be on a trailer with 2 3500 lb axles

I'm betting since it has been a lake only boat all it's life someone picked this up for storage only. A search of the EZ Loader/ Load Rite websites and the like yielded that yes- they do make such a beast of a single axle with a rating in the 4K range and I'm willing to believe this could be it since the wheels/ tires/ stance is really that substantial. Next time I look at it I'll note the tag for capacity.
Browsing craigslist I came across someone in my state advertising brand new tandom bunk galvanized trailers for this size/ weight (4,400lb limit OK?) for about $2,800.

If I do shop for this- how much extra weight should I allow for capacity? is a 4,400 OK? should I be buying closer to 5K? I know going too high isn't ideal since the suspension would not be doing any of the work.

Thanks.

drrpm

The trailer should have a rating plate on it. If its rated higher than the boat's wet weight you're good to go. I have a single axle Tennessee trailer rated for 5,000 lbs. It carries my 20 ft 3,200 lb boat just fine. The wheels are 16 in with 6 lugs. The bigger trailer will also weigh more and start closing in the max tow rating of the Forerunner.

geekgiant

Cadet

I have similar concerns about my 2005 Trophy 1952WA. It's approximately 4,000lbs with fuel and gear. I had heard that a rule of thumb was to be around 60% of a trailer's capacity. So, my boat sits on a single 6k axle. But I have also burned through three sets of bearings since I've owned it (about a year) and I am pretty sure that it is because all the weight is on a single point instead of two. Being able to distribute the load should help, IMO.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I have similar concerns about my 2005 Trophy 1952WA. It's approximately 4,000lbs with fuel and gear. I had heard that a rule of thumb was to be around 60% of a trailer's capacity. So, my boat sits on a single 6k axle. But I have also burned through three sets of bearings since I've owned it (about a year) and I am pretty sure that it is because all the weight is on a single point instead of two. Being able to distribute the load should help, IMO.

going through bearings like that is a sure sign of boat weight/ axle mismatch.. I've got a cuddy that's 2500 dry/empty,, wet, closer to 3000lb, when I bought it, it was sitting on a trailer with GTW listed on reg at 2500lb... bearings became toast.. 2 x quickly.. I removed that axle and installed a new 3500lb axle. new hubs and breaks too.. My bearing blow up problems stopped, since the new install, I trailered about 12 times last summer without an issue... you going through bearings with a 4K boat sitting on a 6K axle, puzzles me.. something else may be out of order... sometimes the spindles are dinged and pitted... new axles are now milled to spec so races sit tight and in place...just a thought.....

KD4UPL

When I bought my used 20' Larson it came on a single axle trailer. I just assumed the seller had sold me an appropriate trailer. After 3 years the trailer frame cracked on the way to the lake. Only then did I bother to weigh the rig. I found out it weighed about 4,200 pounds total and the trailer was rated for about 3,800. I know have the boat on a tandem axle trailer. It tows nicer, rides smoother, and looks better with the new trailer.
I seriously doubt a single axle trailer has enough capacity for that boat. If the factory weight is 3,400 it will probably be close to 4,000 with fuel, batteries, gear, etc. Add the weight of the trailer and you're getting close to max even if it has a 5,000 pound axle, which I doubt it does.

oldjeep

Admiral

My Malibu has a single axle option, which I would rather have than the tandem
. Pretty common to get singles with 5200lb axles with ski boats and vdrives

gtochris

Thanks all, I'll see how the purchase pans out, I'll likely just use it as-for storage and gas station runs (I live 1/4 mi from the water) and if I keep the boat and want to venture further I'll definately upgrade to a tandem.

aaa1950

Cadet

Thanks all, I'll see how the purchase pans out, I'll likely just use it as-for storage and gas station runs (I live 1/4 mi from the water) and if I keep the boat and want to venture further I'll definately upgrade to a tandem.

Chief, first of all thanks for your service. I may be new to boating, but the first lesson I learned from personal experience was that a single axle trailer under a heavy boat was questionable regardless of the weight rating. I recommend upgrading to a tandem, it made a world of difference for me. Like you, my boat normally stays about 1/4 mile from the lake. Trailering it for any distance was a nightmare. Also, on the single axle the boat sat considerably higher which made loading/off loading a real pain. With the tandem, everything is much easier and enjoyable. Just my 2 cents.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Lol.... aaa1950, Chief petty officer is his IBOATS rank
we all get ranks here.... Yours is cadet.... Welcome to the fleet!

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the max capacity of the tires? Are they 14 or 15 inchers? That will give you more clues.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tow a 26-footer on a single-axle trailer; however, it is an aluminum boat and only weighs around 3k with motor and gear. Still, I have a 5200lb axle under it. Tow about 4-5k miles per year. Tows great, can man-handle it around on concrete. Haven't had a flat in the seven years I've had it. Tires are the weak link as they wear pretty fast (and evenly). I just stepped up to some Maxxis M8008 tires as they offer 8-ply (load range D) in the size I needed (205/75R15), so we will see how they last compared to the 6-ply Marathons.