Trailer tire quandry!

James R

Commander
I see from my research that most trailer tires are rubbish especially those made in China. So what else is new.
My recent acquisition, an Aquasport 175 Osprey, has a single axle trailer with a pair of made in USA new looking 205 75 R14 Marathons fitted. I have been looking for a better tire with the intent of relegating the Marathons to spare wheels. I see that Marathons made in China cannot be trusted. This does not necessarily mean that my USA made Marathons are a possible problem. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
It seems that the best possible alternatives would be Greenball Tow Masters or Maxxis. Your thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Trailer tire quandry!

I like load range E bias ply tires. Tow Master makes a good set but there are others. Most don't like non-radials because of the flat spot when cold and the greater rolling resistance. I like bias ply because in the years I have used them I have never had a blow out. Had 3 blow outs with radials, all tires had good tread and check pressure before leaving for a trip.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I use only nitrogen, instead of air, when filling my tires on trailers that carry heavy loads. The tires are less prone to blow from getting to high temps from the road use. Also the use of tires rated to handle heavy loads is a must have, whether made in the US or anywhere in the world. The final decision is up to those that are going to be pulling the trailer. JMO
Oldman570

NYBo

Admiral

I fill mine with 78% nitrogen.:)

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is what I said last time I had my truck serviced and they tried to up-sell me :lol:
The guy at the counter looked totally confused :facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Boat trailer (any trailer for that matter) should be running 'light truck' tyres. Minimum 8 ply. And the filling with 100% nitrogen as opposed to the regular 78% is not a snake oil thing. It does as advertised, keeps running temperatures more consistent, and as 100% nitrogen is drier than air, the insides of the rims don't rust as much....

Chris......

Thalasso

Commander

Boat trailer (any trailer for that matter) should be running 'light truck' tyres. Minimum 8 ply. And the filling with 100% nitrogen as opposed to the regular 78% is not a snake oil thing. It does as advertised, keeps running temperatures more consistent, and as 100% nitrogen is drier than air, the insides of the rims don't rust as much....

Chris......

50 years of driving and have yet to see the inside of a rim rusted using 78% nitrogen.
Pure nitrogen has been used to inflate critical tire applications for years, primarily because it doesn't support moisture or combustion. These include racing tires (IndyCar, Formula 1, NASCAR), aircraft tires (commercial and military) and heavy-duty equipment tires (earthmovers and mining equipment). The challenge facing nitrogen inflation hasn't been its application, it's been its method of supply and cost.

Last edited:

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I replaced four old, but USA-built 205 75R14 Marathons with Maxxis. I'm happy with them. Built in Thailand. I plan to buy another four for another trailer.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

50 years of driving and have yet to see the inside of a rim rusted using 78% nitrogen.

Tires filled with nitrogen lose very little gas through permeation. Tires filled with 78% nitrogen lose up to 2 psi per month, depending on tire pressure... Anyway, it isn't really the gas that is inside that causes the rust, but the crappy air lines that are filled with water. If you are filling more often from gas station compressors, you probably are spraying lots of water in also.

(always 'purge' gas station lines if you have to use them... Find something to depress the center pin of the chuck for 5 or 10 seconds (corner of the hose reel usually works), you will be amazed at the water spray coming out!)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I do too. The nitrogen thing is such a crock, especially the one where they say nitrogen filled tires run cooler.

I replaced four old, but USA-built 205 75R14 Marathons with Maxxis. I'm happy with them. Built in Thailand. I plan to buy another four for another trailer.
Maxxis will probably be my next set depending on how my current Tow Masters hold up. I have always had good luck with Tow Masters but these are the first that are made in China. Starting this year, I have my trailer on jack stands when not in use so that should help.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

50 years of driving and have yet to see the inside of a rim rusted using 78% nitrogen.....

I'm sorry, but I only have 40 years driving experience, but a lot of that is 4WD, and trust me, I've seen plenty of rims rusted from the inside out.

I do too. The nitrogen thing is such a crock, especially the one where they say nitrogen filled tires run cooler....

Sorry Bruce, it is not a crock. I use nitrogen at work, and the first time I was told to do the job we use it for, many years ago, I thought the same. After I had done what I was told I checked the results, I was a complete convert. As for running cooler, nobody say that, we said the temperatures are more consistent.

I have no problem with running air in tyres (I have to admit that all my tyres have air in them), just don't like seeing mis-information about other ways of doing it....

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

how do you vacuum all the air from the tire, to have 100 percent nitrogen? unless its a tube type, I don't see how you can:confused:

agallant80

Commander

I have had the Nitrogen on my cars for the past few years. Only thing I notice is that I don't have to mess with my tire pressure. Its more so of an issue for newer cars that have low tire pressure notification. You don't have to watch it go off with swings in the weather. As for running cooler I'm sure it does just the same as it makes the car lighter because Nitrogen is lighter than air.

NYBo

Admiral

Tires filled with nitrogen lose very little gas through permeation. Tires filled with 78% nitrogen lose up to 2 psi per month, depending on tire pressure...
I have had tires hold full pressure for more than a year. Plus, if this were true, it would be the non-nitrogen parts of air that would be leaking out, increasing the nitogen percentage over time.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

how do you vacuum all the air from the tire, to have 100 percent nitrogen? unless its a tube type, I don't see how you can:confused:

It can be done but not with vacuum. If you remove the valve core then insert a thin tube through the valve and do a flood for several minutes then insert the valve core then fill. I use to do that with HV electrical instruments, but i doubt its done in the automotive world.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It's pretty simple, if plain old air is dry and/or there is no liquid water inside, the ideal gas law states that the gas inside the tire behaves exactly the same. If you do have water in the tire, as the temp goes up, you might see a few PSI increase in air pressure between the two. This is critical in a race car tire. Not so much on a trailer tire or a car tire. Temps will always be the same assuming the tires started off at the same pressure.

Even if the tire was filled with helium, it would only be an ounce lighter so weight has nothing to do with it either.

Bottom line, if you check your tire pressure regularly, you will never have an issue. Before I move my trailer, I always check my tire pressure. I have a compressor with a 30' line followed by a water separator that I fill my tires from.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Out of curiosity, if you get your trailer tires filled with nitrogen and you then need to get them topped off, what do you do? Drive your entire rig to a nitrogen filling station?

agallant80

Commander

Out of curiosity, if you get your trailer tires filled with nitrogen and you then need to get them topped off, what do you do? Drive your entire rig to a nitrogen filling station?

The idea is you dont' need to top them off because the molecule is large enough that it won't leek out and its more stable so changes in temp won't make it expand and contract raising and lowering the pressure.

This will answer most questions. Its a short read.

Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires - Popular Mechanics

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The idea is you dont' need to top them off because the molecule is large enough that it won't leek out
It will...it just takes longer. And when it does, what do you do? Bring your whole rig to a nitrogen filling station?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191
may provide some minimal benefits.

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

http://powertank.com/truth.or.hype/

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It can be done but not with vacuum. If you remove the valve core then insert a thin tube through the valve and do a flood for several minutes then insert the valve core then fill. I use to do that with HV electrical instruments, but i doubt its done in the automotive world.
Some Nascar teams do use a vacuum pump most just deflate the tire after Goodyear mounts them then fill the tire with nitrogen then deflate the tire then refill it again with the nitrogen. They will do this 3 or 4 times.