Switching tire sizes on trailer...ok?

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have size 205 x 75 tires on 14 inch rims on my 22 foot trailer right now. 2 need to be replaced. I've seen an ad for someone selling size a set of four 175 x 80 tires on 13 inch rims. Do you think it would be ok to replace all 4 tires with this smaller size as long as I do all of them?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Switching tire sizes on trailer...ok?

Research the load capacity on the tires and compare to the rated load capacity of your trailer. THEN, compare to the actual load carried. Include the weight of the trailer in your calculations. If the smaller tires have sufficient capacity for the actual load, then they will be OK but remember, the may reduce the rated capacity of the trailer.

bassman284

Commander

Yeah, I don't know how much weight you're pulling, but that is gong to be a pretty big jump in tire capacity.

alldodge

Staff member

Hi I have size 205 x 75 tires on 14 inch rims on my 22 foot trailer right now. 2 need to be replaced. I've seen an ad for someone selling size a set of four 175 x 80 tires on 13 inch rims. Do you think it would be ok to replace all 4 tires with this smaller size as long as I do all of them?

To be short, No

NYBo

Admiral

To be short, No
I tend to agree. The load capacity will be considerably lower, probably less than what you need. However, if they are load range E, it's conceivable they will be okay in that regard. Then there is the issue of lowered height.