Move from Surge Brakes to Electric

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a single axel trailer and a 2000lb boat with surge drum brakes now. The Tie Down actuator is leaking bad and I need to replace it. (in Canada it's amost $100 for the master cylinder kit and $200 for the entire actuator). The brakes work well when I fill the master cylinder until the fluid leaks out.

What is involved with switch this setup to electric brakes? I know I need to replace the brakes at the wheels, but I don't know how they are actuated? Is there a gizmo in my truck that need to be installed?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Move from Surge Brakes to Electric

You need a break controller in your truck with the proper wiring harness, new breaks etc. You would be better off just fixing what you have. The break controller alone is about $100 for the entry level one.

Check this out for conversion:
http://www.etrailer.com/question-61161.html

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Being within Hamilton Ontario area, simply visit your nearest Princess Auto store (located on 1850 Barton Street E) and:

For the boat trailer:
- Buy left side brake assembly.
- Buy right side brake assembly.
- Buy 2 x electric brake hubs.
- Buy / Install 7 x Pin wiring. I buy this wiring at local RV parts stores.
- Buy / Install 1 x plastic PVC junction box.
- Buy / Install some PEX piping - for new wiring "outside" the boats hallow frame rails.
- Buy / Install some 10 gauge wiring / for electric brakes.
- Buy / Install some 12 gauge wiring / for its lights.

Note: Ensure existing axle is for 3500 lbs electric brakes. Best to remove existing parts and bring to their store - for existing brake hub replacement comparisons. Since loaded trailer is < 3,500 lbs, NO legal need for brake-away system. But if you feel you need one, Princess Auto sells the kit for $65+ taxes as well.

For the Trailer's tongue, simply replace with solid tongue coupler or weld its current tongue coupler. And, remove the surge braking parts as well.

For the Tow Vehicle:
- Buy / Install brake controller. Only buy the inertia technology kind - like Prodigy Px models. Stay away from "timed" technology brake controllers.
- Install 7 pin connector on rear of Tow Vehicle.

If wondering, I purposely remove surge systems and replace with full electric braking systems. Yes. Even on my boat trailer as well. I always pick full electric brakes over surge brakes.

Last edited:

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great replies, thanks everyone. On my small trailer, I think i'll fix what I have.

thumpar

Admiral

I just replaced my brake actuator. Amazon (hope I am allowed to say that) has what they call used ones from their warehouse store. I got the Attwood 8000lb rated actuator for under $100 before tax. It was labeled used but came looking brand new.

alldodge

Staff member

I like electric or electric over hydraulic, all-ya'll keep those surge breaks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I like electric or electric over hydraulic, all-ya'll keep those surge breaks

Yeah, I replaced my single axle drum-type surge actuated brakes with 3500lb/axle Dexter Nev-R-Adjust electrics on both axles.

Aside from having to weld flanges on one of the axles, they were fairly easy to install and I am using the existing OEM FORD (IBC) brake controller in my 2005 F-350SD.

I haven't added the battery backup yet but that's next. The brakes work well and are quite easy to control.

I also removed my surge coupler and installed a Tiedown Engr coupler that was something like $35
5257094_large.jpg