Measuring Tongue Weight

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Measuring Tongue Weight

It is a good idea until you compare their 800# regular jack at $38 to the 800# Measuring Jack at $112. :indecisiveness:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

It is a good idea until you compare their 800# regular jack at $38 to the 800# Measuring Jack at $112. :indecisiveness:

And the fact that measuring tongue weight at the jack can lead to a very misleading number, depending on location of the jack. (especially on the newer boats with folding tongues, the jack is way under the boat on those.)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But guys - It's award winning. :rolleyes: I thought that would get a rise from a few of you. :)

The ad implies that checking tongue weight, actually the weight on the jack, should be done every time you put the jack down and start moving things around. Jacks are mounted in too many different places, from the tongue to the frame depending on the trailer. The only way to be semi-effective is as close to the coupler as possible and can't be done on a swing away.

I only posted because of recent tongue weight discussions and I happened to run across an ad in a boating magazine with a "new lower retail price", implying it ain't a big seller.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Very elaborate bathroom scales and less uses than bathroom scales and also much more expensive than bathroom scales. Also far less accurate depending on where it is located.

Thalasso

Commander

Wouldn't work for me. My tongue weight is 1000lbs

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the bathroom scale method before, and it was within 5% of the Sherline hydraulic scale they show on the same website. This was for two different trailers, one with 250lb weight, the other around 465lbs.

You can use the bathroom scale method for 1000lb trailer tongues. Just need a heavy beam and more room for a longer lever. 5:1 would be a good ratio for a 250lb capacity scale. Probably need a good 4x4 for a beam - don't forget to tare the scale before dropping the tongue on the beam...

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just take mine to a truck scale. Weigh it attached to the truck, weigh the truck with nothing attached. The net difference is tongue weight (accurate to 100%) ... ;)

64osby

Admiral

I just take mine to a truck scale. Weigh it attached to the truck, weigh the truck with nothing attached. The net difference is tongue weight (accurate to 100%) ... ;)

With the trailer off the scale.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The truck and trailer are quite often on the scale at the same time... MANY if not most have multiple pads and give steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle weights at the same time