Before I order Bearing Buddies...

Blahhhster

Cadet
http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/before-i-order-bearing-buddies-617838.html

The link referenced above is some very helpful information. I have the exact trailer with the same dilemma. The unfortunate thing is I have been told several different alternatives, and I'm not sure what is the correct thing to do is.

1. Do I leave the existing easy lube system (which is supposed to be better)
2. Or, do I put on bearing buddies

My understanding is that the easy lube system pushes the grease behind into the outer bearings. If I remove the nipple from the easy lube system, how is the grease supposed to makes it way to the outer bearings. This just does not seem to make sense. There is not enough pressure with the bearing buddies to push through the small hole where the nipple was. The other aspect is that the easy lube system allows a lot of water in, and the Bearing buddies don't. Is this that critical?? Anyway, I think I already know my answer, I am just looking for some support!

I always thought the bearing buddies were the way to go, but in this case I guess not. I am looking forward to hearing what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Before I order Bearing Buddies...

Blahhhster, you should probably be starting a new thread. You will get way more answers.

I have 2 trailers. One with Buddy bearings and one with easy lube.

Advantage of the easy lube is that you can supposedly pump the old grease out from the back. The reality is if you have any water intrusion past the rear seal, you may not realize it anyway and have a bad rear bearing. That's what I have experienced.

Advantage of the Bearing Buddy is that you can keep a slight positive pressure in the hub to prevent water intrusion past the rear seal.

Bottom line...with either system you should be pulling your hubs occasionally to check the bearings. In my easy lube system, I had bad bearings due to water intrusion both through the rear seal and the crummy rubber cap on the outside of the hub. Those rubber caps rot and need to be replaced occasionally.

Many people on here may state that they never check their bearings with either of these systems. I think that is bad advice.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Blahhhster, I started your own thread, it's better to start a new thread than attach a ? to someone elses.......

Welcome to the forum.......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/before-i-order-bearing-buddies-617838.html

The link referenced above is some very helpful information. I have the exact trailer with the same dilemma. The unfortunate thing is I have been told several different alternatives, and I'm not sure what is the correct thing to do is.

1. Do I leave the existing easy lube system (which is supposed to be better)
2. Or, do I put on bearing buddies

My understanding is that the easy lube system pushes the grease behind into the outer bearings. If I remove the nipple from the easy lube system, how is the grease supposed to makes it way to the outer bearings. This just does not seem to make sense. There is not enough pressure with the bearing buddies to push through the small hole where the nipple was. The other aspect is that the easy lube system allows a lot of water in, and the Bearing buddies don't. Is this that critical?? Anyway, I think I already know my answer, I am just looking for some support!

I always thought the bearing buddies were the way to go, but in this case I guess not. I am looking forward to hearing what you think.

What problem is that? Missing the rubber caps?

Then just buy new caps.

The ez lube system should not let water in, sealed on both ends.

If water is in there, something is wrong.

Bearing buddies will not grease your bearings.
You need to disassemble and repack them.
Bearing buddies only keep a slight amount of positive pressure on the grease, supposed to compensate for expansion and contraction from heating and cooling.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The easy lube system is the best out there, using BB is a down grade, but its yours so do what ever you like.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Bearing Buddies, like previous said, work by keeping a slight (and I mean slight) pressure in the hub to ensure water doesn't penetrate when you back your trailer into the water to launch or retrieve your boat. As you trailer your boat to the lake or river, it is a little warm from spinning. As you back into the water a change in temperature takes place cooling the hubs quickly (to the water temperature) and that causes a decrease of pressure in the hubs and can suck up some water.

But bearing buddies (of most any manufacturer) keep a slight pressure in the hubs to stop that sucking action and therefore keeps water out. The problem with BBs is too many folks thing that packing more grease into the BBs is better then the proper amount. The proper amount is when the front piston just starts to move outward. Not when it stops at the "C" clip holding them together. Pumping too much grease in causes the rear seals to fail, and that IS how the rear area of the hubs sling grease all over everything.

But as you first install them, there will be air pockets inside. So for a few times out you will probably have to pump additional grease in until the piston starts to move forward again. After getting the entire hub full and all the air pockets removed, then you are set...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Easy Lube is way to go,,, pump in via zerks, old grease is pushed out from rear to front.. buddies can be overfilled and blow out rear seal.. it has happened and does happen. every few dunks, pump grease in,, see old being pushed out.. after several dunks water gets in,, kind of hard not to considering submersion.......

Blahhhster

Cadet

Wow, this is awesome! I finally found a place were I can get some straight, honest answers! I have been to boat stores, auto parts stores, asked friends with boats, etc. None of which could really point me in the right direction. You guys are great! As you can tell I am new to the forum, but look forward to contributing anyway I can.

I guess leaving the existing Accu-lube system is the way to go then. I have already pushed out all the old grease (with new marine grease), and the wheels spin nicely with no noise. I went through a hole can of grease though :grumpy:

My next step is to remove the bearing buddies I put on now, and put back the Accu-lube covers and nipple. I thought of maybe looking for a larger rubber cover (like the bearing buddies style) and maybe that will keep the water out more than just the caps with the black rubber seal. How can we keep things water tight in everything else on a boat and not the hubs!

Anyway thanks again. I will definitely consider the Ultra-Tow system when my hubs eventually start going bad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If this trailer is new to you, and even if it is not and you haven't done this in awhile, pull the hubs and inspect the bearings. Do this no matter what system you decide on going with.

Like I said before, on the trailer I just purchased with ez-lube lubs, water had entered the hub and caused corrosion on inner and outer bearings and races.

There actually is something to be said about having ez-lube and bearing buddies.

Blahhhster

Cadet

Just to Follow-up . . . finally took off the bearing buddies and put back the ez-lub's. It seems like a much better system. On a side note, I hate dealing with the mess of grease!

Bifflefan

Commander

You can always look for some Vault Hubs. They are a dealer installed item, and I assume they are kinda pricey. But they have a 10 year no-intrusion warranty on them.
Here is a link.