Chicken Or Egg came first. WD Hitch

agallant80

Commander
The WD hitch seams to me to be a bit of a chicken/egg debate to me. Boat trailers can handle lots and lots of weight but the manufactures recommend not using a WD hitch where as all of the truck makers require a WD hitch for loads over a certain amount. So what does one do?

Trailer is around 8K loaded Ford says to use a WD hitch for loads over 5K trailer maker says it does not recommend a WD hitch. I looked in to this and its just not venture most all of the trailer makers say out right no or its not recommended.

This is not a Ford issue alone Chevy and RAM all have a load amount where to tow more they require WD hitch.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Chicken Or Egg came first. WD Hitch

The WD hitch seams to me to be a bit of a chicken/egg debate to me. Boat trailers can handle lots and lots of weight but the manufactures recommend not using a WD hitch where as all of the truck makers require a WD hitch for loads over a certain amount. So what does one do?

Trailer is around 8K loaded Ford says to use a WD hitch for loads over 5K trailer maker says it does not recommend a WD hitch. I looked in to this and its just not venture most all of the trailer makers say out right no or its not recommended.

This is not a Ford issue alone Chevy and RAM all have a load amount where to tow more they require WD hitch.

The issue is because the truck does not have sufficient weight to keep the trailer from pushing it around. The truck also has a max tongue weight, and a WD hitch will exceed the rating of the truck.
Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

agallant80

Commander

The issue is because the truck does not have sufficient weight to keep the trailer from pushing it around. The truck also has a max tongue weight, and a WD hitch will exceed the rating of the truck.
Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

Im just wondering about the conundrum. Ford says for all of their trucks (f150,f250,f350) if towing more than 5,000 LBS a WD hitch is required. Trailer makers who make trailers for say my 7,000lb boat say they do not recommend it. So who do you listen to?

It seams the trailer makers do not talk to the truck makers. One says to use it the others says to not.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... WD hitches were/ are designed to pull Too much wagon, with Too small of a tow unit,...

Get a horse big enough for the wagon,...
Ford says for all of their trucks (f150,f250,f350) if towing more than 5,000 LBS a WD hitch is required.

None of my F-250s ever said such a thing,...

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

As you can see in the attached clipping form the 2004 Ford towing guide with weight-carring hitch the F250 SRW is rated for 5000LBS with a weight-distributing hitch its rated at 12,500lbs. Pick a year all of the towing guides say the same thing.

wdhitchford.jpg

Thalasso

Commander

Usually it depends on the type of setup on the trailer. The normal type of WD hitches people are used to seeing with chains isn't recommended for trailers. The trunnion set up for boat trailers are diff. then RV/ horse trailer and so forth. The trunnion for the boat trailer need to be able to slide through threw the brackets in case you have surge brakes. Think about it. If the bars didn't slide the brakes wouldn't apply.

Look at this picture of one for boat trailers and you can see the diff. in the setup. Each Manuf has there own but are same in principle.

Finally Weight Distributing Hitch for boat trailers

agallant80

Commander

Usually it depends on the type of setup on the trailer. The normal type of WD hitches people are used to seeing with chains isn't recommended for trailers. The trunnion set up for boat trailers are diff. then RV/ horse trailer and so forth. The trunnion for the boat trailer need to be able to slide through threw the brackets in case you have surge brakes. Think about it. If the bars didn't slide the brakes wouldn't apply.

Look at this picture of one for boat trailers and you can see the diff. in the setup. Each Manuf has there own but are same in principle.

Yes that is the hitch I currently own. Going to go set it up this weekend.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can also get a hitch for your truck that would have a completely different rating on it. I did that with my 3/4T Suburban. The one I got for it was rated a lot higher for not using a WD hitch.

Most people that use WD hitches are travel trailers that use electric brakes so the surge brake is not an issue. You should be fine with hitch you purchased though for surge brakes.

alldodge

Staff member

The issue is as Thalasso eluded to; A weight WD hitch when used with surge brakes does not allow full breaking under issues when the hitch is also controlling sway. To be in full compliance and legal you need electric brakes, or electric over hydraulic (still electric controller).

Towing The LIne

agallant80

Commander

The issue is as Thalasso eluded to; A weight WD hitch when used with surge brakes does not allow full breaking under issues when the hitch is also controlling sway. To be in full compliance and legal you need electric brakes, or electric over hydraulic (still electric controller).

Towing The LIne

There are WD hitches that are comparable with surge breaks. But back to the original question. If the trailer weighs in at more than 5K and the trailer maker says no WD hitch but the truck maker says WD hitch for loads over 5K what do you do?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A weight WD hitch when used with surge brakes does not allow full breaking under issues when the hitch is also controlling sway.
yes, you have to make sure you never use a sway control like this:
Pro Series Friction Sway Control Kit - Economy - by Draw-Tite, Reese and Hidden Hitch Pro Series Weight Distribution 83660

I had the same decision to make when I sold my 3/4T Suburban and went to a 1/2T Silverado. My Suburban could tow my boat with a deadweight hitch(I up graded the factory hitch). The Silverado needed a WD hitch. I ended up adding electric/hydraulic at the same time I added Kodiak disc brakes. Personally, I hate drum brakes on a boat trailer whether they are electric or hydraulic since I boat in salt water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There are WD hitches that are comparable with surge breaks. But back to the original question. If the trailer weighs in at more than 5K and the trailer maker says no WD hitch but the truck maker says WD hitch for loads over 5K what do you do?
The trailer maker is playing it safe because most WD hitches are not surge compatible.

agallant80

Commander

One other reason I can think of for no WD on trailer is if its aluminium. Loaded properly it can be very strong but if you put load on it the wrong way it will break.

Thalasso

Commander

Towing The LIne

The proper WD hitch for surge brakes is a no issue. Where do you get this from that the above is mandatory to be in compliance?

Thalasso

Commander

The proper WD hitch for surge brakes is a no issue. Where do you get this from that the above is mandatory to be in compliance?

From the article you posted.
The good news is both Equal-i-zer (Equal-i-zer? Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control? and Weight Distribution) and Reese SC (Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring) offer special weight-distributing hitches designed for use with surge-brake-equipped trailers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One other reason I can think of for no WD on trailer is if its aluminium. Loaded properly it can be very strong but if you put load on it the wrong way it will break.
You are moving some of the point load at the ball back to where the EQ bars attach to the trailer frame. Same load but distributed over 2 points.

alldodge

Staff member

In my opinion: The auto industry has had many years dealing with law suits. The trucks owners manual tells the owner how all the buttons work and also the limitations they are willing to agree to. They are willing to state the the max towing capability "provided" the vehicle is properly equipped. If negligence issue is determined it will always come back to the tow vehicle being "properly-equipped."

One manufacture builds a trailer and they state it can carry a given load if it fits correctly and properly secured. The trailer manufacture will not assume liability for stating if a WD hitch is used. A hitch company which makes the WD hitch will not assume any liability for the trailer or the tow. There is now a new company which makes a WD surge brake "KIT" which says it works great. I would start first to read the liability waiver before I would jump for it.

All of the previous comes back to no one will assume liability for someone else equipment. So the truck, trailer, hitch, and WD kit manufacture will accept nothing from the other. You are the one which will stand before the court system if something happens.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... WD hitches were/ are designed to pull Too much wagon, with Too small of a tow unit,...

Get a horse big enough for the wagon,...

You still use Weight Distribution hitches with Heavy Duty trucks.... It isn't a matter of not having enough truck.

Reason for the 5,000 line in the sand- General trailers are estimated to have 10% tongue weight... (travel trailers, horse trailers, car trailers) exc.

BOATS have substantially LESS tongue weight since the engine is in the rear hence most boats do not hit that 10% tongue weight limit.

If you are pulling a 5,500 lb boat and your tongue weight is under 10% for example *(500lbs), you would not need to have a weight distribution hitch despite what your truck sticker says... The tongue weight is simply not there to warrant needing one.

agallant80

Commander

BOATS have substantially LESS tongue weight since the engine is in the rear hence most boats do not hit that 10% tongue weight limit.

I am not sure how much I agree with that statement. You can get as much tongue weight as you need by adjusting how far up on the trailer the boat sits and the placement of the axles. Most dealers have this done for you when you pick up your boat. Now if you are talking about some small john boat type thing sure you will have issues but my 25 foot cruiser that clocks in at 7,000lbs dry has no issues providing the proper amount of weight.

agallant80

Commander

Considering the back of my truck squats pretty bad I am going to give it a shot. Here is the rig. Ill do a write up with photos once I get it all installed. Keep on saying im going to get to it this weekend but something comes up. This weekend I have to work.....

2001 Ford Excursion 4X4 v10
Equal-I-zer Equalizer 10000/10K Weight Distribution Hitch 90-00-1000
Pole-Tongue Adapter for Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems - 14,000 lbs GTW, 1,400 lbs TW