Carlisle Wheel Recall & Question

robopath

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
First an FYI for everyone, I just got a certified mail notice that Carlisle 15" trailer wheels sold from Oct 2011-July 2013 have been recalled. Question for the group, my boat & trailer was new last May and has 3 months left on the warranty. Can I expect that my dealer will just take care of this if I ask them? They actually are storing my boat this year, so it should be easy for them when they get it ready for pickup.
Just trying to figure out my strategy, I live in a different state from my boat so I need to plan ahead.
Thanks

Here is more info on the recall:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM446863/RCDNN-13E059-8080P.pdf

briangcc

Commander
Re: Carlisle Wheel Recall & Question

The question really is...do you trust the dealer/marina to actually do the work? If you do, great.

I'm old school so I do the work myself if I can. That's why my '13 Tundra with 2 yrs of Toyota Care just had its second oil change done by yours truly instead of the dealer.

If it were me, I'd be handling this myself that way if something goes wrong, there's not a 3rd party to go after. But that's just me...

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with briangcc that it's best to do it yourself but you mentioned the boat is in another state so that may not work for you in this situation.

I'd start with talking to your dealer--it's likely every trailer they sold during that time period with those size wheels has the same issue so they're probably dealing with other owner's wheels as well. Give them a call and see what they say----you can then decide whther you want to let them handle it or do it yourself.

Last edited:

robopath

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Jetboater I didn't even think that there could be a cue to get it done, but you are correct I'm sure.
Calling them today.

Thalasso

Commander

product code 922MB561235 15? I would think this number would be on the wheel or invoice to know if you have any effected wheels.

20287 wheels still out there. How would you know if you had any on the list other then a product code number. The recall notice doesn't tell you how to find out.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not only should you expect the dealer to take care of the recall, they are required by law to to do so. A recall has to be performed by a manufacturer or authorized dealer. The NHTSA recall has to certified by the manufacturer as to completion and product removal from service.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not only should you expect the dealer to take care of the recall, they are required by law to to do so. A recall has to be performed by a manufacturer or authorized dealer.
The boat dealer is not the wheel's manufacturer and probably not a Carlisle authorized dealer. It wouldn't surprise me if he has to deal directly with Carlisle

Last edited:

robopath

Seaman Apprentice

The boat dealer is not the wheel's manufacturer and probably not a Carlisle authorized dealer. It wouldn't surprise me if he has to deal directly with Carlisle

That's the primary question that I had. In this case, it's a Four Winns boat and they make their own trailers so it's a Four Winns trailer. If I had a 10 month old Chevy Tahoe and there was a recall on the wheels, wouldn't the dealer take care of it? I would think they would, regardless of who actually manufactured the wheels for GM. Anyway, I should hear back from the service manager tomorrow so I will let you guys know.

Thalasso, the recall that I got was directly from Carlisle and was much more detailed than the DOT one. I'm in the recall for sure. I just posted that one as an fyi (and it was easier then scanning in mine). From what I'm reading on my version, all 5 and 6 lug 15" "toy hauler" wheels over a 2 year period are being recalled.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's the primary question that I had. In this case, it's a Four Winns boat and they make their own trailers so it's a Four Winns trailer. If I had a 10 month old Chevy Tahoe and there was a recall on the wheels, wouldn't the dealer take care of it? I would think they would, regardless of who actually manufactured the wheels for GM. Anyway, I should hear back from the service manager tomorrow so I will let you guys know.

Thalasso, the recall that I got was directly from Carlisle and was much more detailed than the DOT one. I'm in the recall for sure. I just posted that one as an fyi (and it was easier then scanning in mine). From what I'm reading on my version, all 5 and 6 lug 15" "toy hauler" wheels over a 2 year period are being recalled.

Your local Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Dodge/etc. dealer doesn't make the recalled cars either. When wheels just like this are recalled the car local dealer is the one checking that the item is or isn't the affected item. The PO stated he bought a new boat and trailer, so the dealer is the trailer manufacturer's representative. The dealer doesn't have to be a Carlisle authorized dealer, but he is a FourWinns dealer and responsible to perform the recall.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What does your certified letter tell you to do?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That's the primary question that I had. In this case, it's a Four Winns boat and they make their own trailers so it's a Four Winns trailer. If I had a 10 month old Chevy Tahoe and there was a recall on the wheels, wouldn't the dealer take care of it? I would think they would, regardless of who actually manufactured the wheels for GM.
It all comes down to whether or not your dealer is a second or third party to Carlisle. A second party would be responsible, a third party would not.

Most boat manufacturers don't build trailers. My dealer is second party to Grady White, but not second party to the Load Rite trailer it sits on. If it where to happen to me I'd have to take it up with Load Rite. In your example, GM is second party and therefore responsible