Bringing a trailer back to life

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can only (almost only) say WOW! It's been said that I get a little carried away with detail now and then but I now know that I'm an amateur at getting carried away! Absolutely beautiful. I'm thinking that you only have about 10% of what you originally started with--maybe. That satisfaction at the end is what it's all about. Thanks so much for all of your step by step info, tips and pictures. I know that many of us out here have benefited greatly. Out of curiosity, have you got any idea of your hours and $ spent?

scvcando, for starters, welcome to iboats :welcome: always great to have a new boater on board.

Secondly, thanks very much for the kind words.

Yes the original trailer I started out with is still there, but renewed to the max. I wanted a trailer I can depend on and the original trailer had some very serious issues indeed. From the cracked trailer tongue to the totally non-working electrical equipment to the amazingly rusted out wheels and dry-rotted tires, it all had to be fixed. So I redesigned it to a new drive on type setup. It is a little over-kill but should last longer then I will be around. New fenders to accommodate the new and larger wheel/tire combinations was a must. As was the new longer tongue I installed with a much more robust trailer body interface. Now the weak area is spread out over a much larger area and that makes it a lot more solid and less likely to fracture again. Follow that up with everything welded on and ground smooth for a nicer looking finish. So no issues with bolts slipping or any other problems with bolt on braces. And then the new tapered four runners installed to fit only my tri-hull exactly perfect. So I know I will have zero problems with this trailer and my boat...exactly like I designed it to be. Paint was PPG shop line finishes with stripping via taped off and spray on paint as well. So no issues with pin stripping peeling off either. And then finished up with a few clear coats and new LED light and wiring and there you have it. I figured there is still about 50% to 60% of the original trailer still there cleverly disguised as new now. But it is safe! Thanks again...

bonz_d, sorry you missed that fun trailer project as I was building it. It did come out amazing and actually nicer then I'd hope for. But I will take it any day and use it for as long as I can. You can still see the last part of my entire boat, motor, trolling motor and trailer project still. I haven't finished with the actual boat portion, but getting closer every day. All the other portion of this total project are presently finished waiting on the boat... Yes I bought everything for around $600 dollars and all it needed was for the outboard, the trolling motor, the trailer and the boat to be totally rebuilt...that's all! What a total bargain... :facepalm:

Boatleaner

Cadet
Boatleaner,
Please notice how long a topic has been inactive before posting. This has been inactive since March, well past the 90days mark.

Closed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.