Trailer Hitch aid: aftermarket backup camera suggestions? with or without GPS.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
UPDATED 18/07/2014 -INSTALLED - SEE LAST POST
Just as title suggests, looking for any feedback on any models of aftermarket backup cameras that work well for hitch alignment.
Seems like switching away from wide angle might be preferable - not sure what units might offer that feature if any.....

Here is one marketed for boating:
http://www.etrailer.com/Electronics/...k/4843DAT.html

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Trailer Hitch aid: aftermarket backup camera suggestions? with or without GPS.

I'd like to find one also but I want one that sits under the sun visor. Don't want something else sitting in the window, blocking the view. A 3.5 inch screen isn't much and wireless devices keep coming on from interference. If I cannot find a wired one I would still like it on the visor so when it comes on I wouldn't notice. Looked at several and haven't found one that appears to be built well enough for put out the green.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Hitch aid: aftermarket backup camera suggestions? with or without GPS.

They do have some that are built into the inside rear view mirror. When you go to reverse it turns on and take about a third of the backup inside mirror to show where you are backing. That, to me anyways, is the best place for one because you are already looking in the mirror(s) as you backup...

HopCar

Cadet

I have one that I used quite a bit on my old truck.
It's called a Swift Hitch. When you want to connect a trailer, the camera mounts with a magnet, I drop the screen into a cup holder. Sometimes it took a couple of tries to get the camera aimed just right but it was a real help when I was trying to hitch the trailer by my self.
https://www.swifthitch.com/

My new truck came with a built in back up camera. The image appears in my rear view mirror and is smaller than the Swift Hitch image but it works fine for connecting a trailer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I just back up until I tap the bumper, pull forward a bit, drop onto ball. Been doing that for almost 30 years and only have a few small dents in bumpers, smaller ones than me backing into other things or people hitting me.

I've had a few rental cars that had them and seems like too much for me.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Howard, I have a Master Lock backup camera like the one in your link. It works, but there is a lot of interference from the vehicle engine/electronics. Some have said that Bluetooth interferes, but I don't have Bluetooth. I guess that's the price you pay for a wireless connection to the display. The power for the camera comes from the 4-flat connector on your bumper, so you need to turn lights on for it to work. Mine works just fine for hooking up the ball hitch. The camera can also be used as a regular backup camera (when not trailering) by inserting the camera in the 2" receiver, but the interference issue makes a "non-benefit". If buying again, I'd look at one which had a battery powered camera and just use it for hooking up.

toms26t

Cadet

I have placed the camera on the back of my starcraft 221 when backing down my 450 ft drive, Is main use other than hooking up to the truck is backing around a blind corner where it gets parked close to a tree.

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Investigate Hopkins Smart Hitch Backup Camera. This camera can be used in hitch or normal mode.

Surf: Smart Hitch

This bundled item can be bought from:
Smarthitch Camera & Sensor System | hitchweb
Hopkins Smart Hitch Backup Camera and Hitch Aligner System Hopkins Electronics HM50002

If wondering, I had to hard wire my Hopkins license plate camera unit into existing wiring harness. Black wire goes to frame ground and its red goes on reverse wire - located behind one of the tail light assemblies. Other then this tip, this wired system installed with ease. And being a wired system, its LCD image is crystal clear.

Note: If extra long tow vehicle (like crew cab pickups with long boxes), do call the seller and ask for the part number for the Hopkins Camera system that contains "extra long" cables. My vehicle used standard (default) part number model.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

backup camera suggestions? with or without GPS. ???

They make backup cameras with GPS?
I would think you should be able to locate the trailer without gps :D

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Well, decided on this one....$56 shipped to my door. Installed it today. Works sweet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-7-Car-Re...E:L:OC:US:3160

Here it is in my Ranger,
I'm not sure why every chinese thing comes with a remote, but there it is. lol

002_zpse1416727.jpg

video:
http://youtu.be/AIPcl2jOb8I

Last edited: