Roller bunks vs wood bunks?

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I have a tandem trailer with roller bunks which I absolutely hate with a passion. What are some opinions on rollers vs wooden bunks?

And if anyone wants to trade , let me know!!! lol
20140217_101026.jpg

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Roller bunks vs wood bunks?

Properly set up roller bunks self center the boat, making retreiving much easier. They can be used ANYWHERE, shallow ramp, deep ramp, in current, etc. Launching is a dream, especially if you have a bad back. You don't have to back the trailer far down the ramp and you don't ned to get your feet wet. Trailer Boating is a joy. The only negatives are they cost more and require more maintenance. Those that hate them or say they hurt the hull either don't have them set up correctly (see first statement), don't know how to use them, or have a cheap trailer.

Bunk trailers are cheap - that's why dealers sell them - its a price point. They work well on many ramps, but not all. They require less maintenance. For those that love them, God bless and have fun.

The former is a launching trailer and the latter is a storage trailer.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I imagine it would be cheap and easy to replace those rollers with carpeted planks, but don't know why you would want to. what do you dislike about the rollers?

rothfm

Ensign

Reply's will be all over the place on this topic.

I've had both..Like both for various reasons already stated. I've modified my current bunk trailer in a way that works for me.

I added 2 additional bunks (4 main total), with 2 short ones up toward the bow to help center. The main bunks have "bunk slicks" nylon covers that make retrieval and launching a breeze. I also used side 4' bunk-guide on's. Not the poles, but the horizontal carpeted guides on each side than run before and after the axle. Never have any issues with centering. I even launch/retrieve off gravel beaches where there is no ramp with a 21'.

I've also lowered the entire profile to be lower. The Bunks themselves are as low as they can be mounted on the trailer frame with enough clearance. Then I mounted the springs below the axle. I have just enough clearance and have never hit the boat on the axle.

There isnt many ramps I cant get into, or out of. When retrieving, I only have to crank up the last 3-4 feet.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I've only ever owned a bunk-style trailer I don't know what I'm missing with rollers. I have seen a few boats with indents on the hull at the roller contact points, but I'm guessing that's probably from poor maintenance/adjustment on the trailer.

alldodge

Staff member

Bunks are best to hold the boat and if setup correctly will center the boat even if the boat comes in at an angle. Rollers are easy on and easy off. On is good, off can be LOOK OUT BELOW. Don't like them but I figure you may have guessed that :D :D

I`mNotMe

Seaman

I now love the rug covered / wood bunks on my trailer. Originally, I hated my boat trailer's factory design. Always cursed it on windy and fast current flow days. And, I would triple curse it under both these environmental conditions. But after I installed boat guides (not PVC "feeler" posts) on the rear of my trailer, all now works great. For my custom DIY board guides, I created / installed vertical steel posts, slid a hollow pool noodle over the pipe (for non-marking bounce protection), then set their clearance distance. Very low cost (re: cost $2 for pool noodles) and it's much stronger than store bought guide products. Now, I simply drive the boat between the vertical posts, gently bounce off these posts (like a ball inside a pin-ball machine - LOL!) and its front becomes centered. I then connect its bow hook and winch up the last few 8-12" (to the center support post). Or, I might simply "power load" until its centre post touches. Clean, simple and easy.

If possible, install steel vertical posts (with padding) on the rear of your boat trailer. Give it and try and it might work for you as well…

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I now love the rug covered / wood bungs on my trailer. Originally, I hated my boat trailer's factory design. Always cursed it on windy and fast current flow days. And, I would triple curse it under both these environmental conditions. But after I installed boat guides (not PVC "feeler" posts) on the rear of my trailer, all now works great. For my custom DIY board guides, I created / installed vertical steel posts, slid a hollow pool noodle over the pipe (for non-marking bounce protection), then set their clearance distance. Very low cost (re: cost $2 for pool noodles) and it's much stronger than store bought guide products. Now, I simply drive the boat between the vertical posts, gently bounce off these posts (like a ball inside a pin-ball machine - LOL!) and its front becomes centered. I then connect its bow hook and winch up the last few 8-12" (to the center support post). Or, I might simply "power load" until its centre post touches. Clean, simple and easy.

If possible, install steel vertical posts (with padding) on the rear of your boat trailer. Give it and try and it might work for you as well…

Would you be willing to post pics of yours? I'd be interested to see how you did it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Since I've only ever owned a bunk-style trailer I don't know what I'm missing with rollers. I have seen a few boats with indents on the hull at the roller contact points, but I'm guessing that's probably from poor maintenance/adjustment on the trailer.

i've seen quite a few dented boats also, and most of them were very well maintained. Biggest problem was that some of those boats were also barely used, as in maybe used once, if that, per year. If you have pressure points on a hull long enough, eventually it will take a set.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Depends on how much pressure there is on the point. My Fiberglass boat has been sitting on rollers for 30 years now and I see no dents. My tinny has been on rollers for 5 years now. In both cases I took pains to adjust the trailers properly. Any of my rollers can be turned by hand.

There are roller trailers and there are roller trailers. The cheepies have an insufficient number of rollers. Each one has to carry equal weight and there need to be enough of them to distribute the load.

I bought my first boat in 1968. The dealer recommended a full roller trailer. It had a tilt bed too. I got spoiled with the easy loading and unloading. I paid extra for it but it was well worth the money. Sadly, to be price competitive most dealers today will sell anything to get you to buy. The trailer is the most important item for a trailer boater!

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

I have a 25 foot boat that clocks in at 7K dry on a bunk trailer. I use some bunk lube and it goes on and off no issue. I would never get a roller trailer. I would replace the rollers with bunks. Biggest thing with a bunk trailer is knowing how deep to put her so she loads properly, once you figure that out you are good.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Reply's will be all over the place on this topic.

I've had both..Like both for various reasons already stated. I've modified my current bunk trailer in a way that works for me.

I added 2 additional bunks (4 main total), with 2 short ones up toward the bow to help center. The main bunks have "bunk slicks" nylon covers that make retrieval and launching a breeze. I also used side 4' bunk-guide on's. Not the poles, but the horizontal carpeted guides on each side than run before and after the axle. Never have any issues with centering. I even launch/retrieve off gravel beaches where there is no ramp with a 21'.

I've also lowered the entire profile to be lower. The Bunks themselves are as low as they can be mounted on the trailer frame with enough clearance. Then I mounted the springs below the axle. I have just enough clearance and have never hit the boat on the axle.

There isnt many ramps I cant get into, or out of. When retrieving, I only have to crank up the last 3-4 feet.

this