Towing weights of fiberglass boats vs. aluminum boats using a Ford Ranger

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a chance at a couple nice 17' fiberglass bass boats w/ 150hp motors but don't think I have enough truck to pull them. Been pulling around the last couple years a 16' SeaArk aluminum boat Evinrude 40hp with a Ford Ranger 4.0 engine. It's done good with this boat but not sure about these fiberglass boat. Most of the pulling has been with the tranny out of overdrive.

Anyone pulling a 'glass boat with a Ranger? How did it do pulling it out at the ramp?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Towing weights of fiberglass boats vs. aluminum boats using a Ford Ranger

pulled my 18' Larson with an explorer same motor, kept it out of OD 4wd helps at the ramp

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7384.jpg104_7383.jpg

I have personally a Chevy S10 with the 4.3 V6. It is rated to tow 4500 pounds and I tow a 21 foot cuddy with it. The cuddy, engine, trailer, and boat loaded with gear complete weighs 3900 . No real problem except the mileage sucks while towing--about 12 MPG.

I have known a couple of fellows in passing with the Ranger 4 cylinder engine and they were happy towing a boat about the size of what you are contemplating buying.

Read your owners manual to see what weight the Ranger 4.0 is rated to tow.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you will have to look at the specific boat you want to tow. just saying a 17' fiberglass bass boat with a 150hp motor gets you a range of weights from about 1000# to 2500#

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buddy towed a fiberglass boat (guessing around 17', with a 4cyl mercury I/O in it), with his Ranger 4.0 4wd M/T. I pulled with it once, and it did okay with it.

Believe my 4.0 4wd M/T Ranger is rated for 3500lbs. Unfortunately, the rust bug bit the rear end frame half, and I rarely tow with it now.

As for those 4.3's in the Chevys, they are great motors, but fuel efficiency isn't one of their strong points. However, my 2wd S-10 4.3CPI A/T is rated for 5500lbs. I've had around 4000lbs behind it, and would say it does have more oomph than the Ranger..

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ford publishes a yearly towing guide. Look up your truck, determine what it can pull safely, and then have or get the info on the loaded weight of the boat/motor/trailer combo you're looking to purchase to determine if it's doable.

Mi duckdown

Commander

What phillyg posted. You really need to do your OWN homework on this. I would not trust anyone telling this or That.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

a ranger is a weak truck, it can be from 1000 pounds to 5000 pounds

Last edited:

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've towed with my 2.3L Ranger 4x2 for years, the heaviest boat I've owned was around 2,000 lbs on the trailer and it did fine but I had to choose the launch ramps carefully.
A four wheel drive model with a 4.0L is pretty capable. I towed a 19' Wellcraft for about four years with a 1992 Explorer with a 4.0L and it did just fine.
My 4x2 Ranger is only rated at about 1000 lbs max but its able to tow far more. The brakes and suspension are the same as on the 4.0L models. I would have some concerns if your driving one of the earlier models with mono leaf rear springs which won't handle much tongue weight at all. I've had over a ton in the back of mine and it barely moves the suspension, yet a buddy has one with lighter springs that squats to the ground with only a few hundred pounds in the back.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

My brother used to tow a 20' Stratos bass boat with a 225 hanging off the back with a '93 Ranger with the 4.0L, manual trans, and 3.73 gears. He never had any problems with it. Acceleration left a little to be desired. The boat trailer had breaks so it stopped OK.

Last edited:

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What year is the Ford? Is it 2wd or 4x4? Auto or Manual? Do you know the rear end gear ratio, is it 3.73? Did it come with a tow package?

I've towed a 80's 17ft fiberglass Bayliner with 125hp Force with my old 98 GMC Sonoma 4.3L Vortech (190hp 250lbstq) 3.42gears 2wd ext cab it was rated 3500lbs. Towing that boat wasn't any issue but I wasn't getting anywhere in a hurry either.

My previous Jeep Commander with 3.7L (210hp 235tq) 4x4 with 5 speed auto would tow our Bayliner 1750 well but usually was going between 4th and 3rd gears depending on the grade. I locked it out of 5th.

Now, I don't have any issues as we have a 2007 Suburban with the 6.0L (366hp 380tq), L465e transmission, 4.10 gears, 4x4. We tow a small camper or our Bayliner 1700LS plus all our things and full load people. I personally wouldn't want to go back to mid size SUV or truck but if that's what you got they served us well for a decade...use it!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2007 Ranger with 2wd, automatic transmission and the 3.0 liter engine. I installed a transmission cooler and I have a Scangauge that allows me to monitor the transmission temperature. All of that being said, I pull my 17' Galaxy IO out of the water without any difficulty at my local concrete ramps. I have never so much as spun a tire. And no, I don't tow with the overdrive engaged either; I lock it out.

Gas mileage falls from 24 down to about 16 mpg when I tow the boat.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be fine pulling those bass boats. My friends pulls a 20ft stratos with a 2000 Tacoma v6

oldjeep

Admiral

What year 4.0L ranger? The 99 I had was rated to pull 6000lbs and could.